Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Road King fairing question - sorry for another fairing thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:01 PM
joewg3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Road King fairing question - sorry for another fairing thread

Sorry for another Road King fairing question but I've tried searching... and reading... and searching more.

I'm possibly in the market for a detachable fairing for my Road King. My question is whether there is a big difference with the wind protection/buffetting from a fairing versus the RK windshild (currently a +2).

So for a change I'm not asking about which fairing to buy but rather the difference in protection. It seems like most people are really interested in the tunes. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 04-03-2011, 03:18 PM
02rk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Dragonfly fairing for my 07 Road King. As far as protection from the wind the fairing is about the same as the windshield. I have only switched back and forth once.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:32 PM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

Don't apologize, you raise a good question, different than what most other threads on this topic discuss. I don't have the answer,but as is often the case...if you have the question, someone else probably does too...like me. Thanks for asking.

Last edited by 2001NightTrain; 04-03-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-03-2011, 04:11 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

There's more wind 'body' protection provided by the fairing. The difference between the fairing and the windshield is not nearly as great as between the windshield and nothing. With regards to your hands, there is a pretty dramatic difference between the windshield and the fairing, with the fairing providing a lot more protection. Winter riding with the windshield, I needed heated gloves. With the fairing, I still use the heated gloves (cuz I'm a wuss) but I've ridden without them, and it's very do-able.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:13 PM
customclimates
Cruiser

I had no wobble with my stock RK windshield. I now have a quadzilla mounted and it 100% wobbles down the highway now. Not terrible but it is there ...

Old 04-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I've got a Dragonfly. Not that much difference in wind protection, of course depending on where your bars are mounted, you might get some more wind protection for your hands behind a batwing. Some guys have their bars high enough that their hands are in the wind anyway.

The fairing does give it a little heavier feeling though. I think the handling is better with the windshield, and better yet with no windshield or fairing on it. No wobble on my bike with a fairing mounted, even at speeds up around 100 mph.

The fairing is for tunes and for the way it looks. If you don't care for music while you're riding, and you don't care one way or another about the looks, run a windshield and save your money.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:11 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have the memphis shades fairing...also lower triple tree wind deflector...and fork mounted wind deflectors. the combination works well and bike is steady at any speed. got the thing from bikerhaven for $338 delivered. hell, windshields cost more than that! over 20k miles and no problems.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:16 PM
m361
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Dragonfly fairing on my '01 RK. I bought it for the tunes, but I didn't really notice and difference in the wind buffeting. Hands definitely stay warmer with the fairing. Best money I spent on that RK was the fairing.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:14 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got the Memphis Shades batwing & luv it, better wind protection & cuts through wind better. Would never go back to windshield.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:03 AM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

In my case i can say that there is more buffeting with the fairing than with the windshield. I am running a 6.5" Klockwerks windshield.

Quick Reply: Another Road King fairing question - sorry for another fairing thread