Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when you say "loss of low end torque?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:15 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default when you say "loss of low end torque?

When you say "lose low end torque" with open, straight through type pipes, what exactly does this mean?

I am thinking it just means I won't have great power on take-offs - but I never take of like a bat out of hell, so if I am satisfied with a loss of power there, no harm? Or, are there problems associated with this?

I will be adding the CFR knockoffs to my bike in a couple weeks on my stock motor, stock headpipes with stage one SE A/C. I plan on getting the dobeck TFI.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

You will notice what you have been missing when you install complimenting components.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:05 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you ever forget to go to 1st gear and take off into traffic or have someone coming up behind you that won't stop, you will wish you had the power at low end. No, you don't need wheelie power, just enough to get you out of trouble. Bikes, compared to cars, have manueverablity, braking and take off power to use to the riders advantage and keep them out of harms way. IMO

Old 04-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

It's relative to where you are currently, and the difference can be minor, or it can be startling. It's most felt from a standing start, or when you throttle up at low rpms, like a bad turbo lag, but then as rpms build, you'd feel the power come on in a rush. I'd not want a bike that had less low rpms than a stock bike. I don't necessarily need more torque than stock from idle to 2200 or so, but I don't want any less.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

It'a about throttle response. With a good pipe you twist the throttle at any speed and the bike jumps. With a lot of loud, obnoxious, exhaust systems you can scratch your ego thinking everyone hears you and thinks you're cool cause you have a loud bike. They aren't though, especially if they have any knowledge of bikes. You twist the throttle and it's like sticking your hand into a bowl of mush. The straight pipes do make some power after you gain some r.p.m, but the guy riding next to you with a performance exhaust will be a block ahead of you by the time that happens.

So if you want everyone to notice you go with straights, they'll get a good look cause you aren't going anywhere soon. Me, I run a 2 into 1 and have fun riding.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:21 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
You will notice what you have been missing when you install complimenting components.
Originally Posted by KingCripps
If you ever forget to go to 1st gear and take off into traffic or have someone coming up behind you that won't stop, you will wish you had the power at low end. No, you don't need wheelie power, just enough to get you out of trouble. Bikes, compared to cars, have manueverablity, braking and take off power to use to the riders advantage and keep them out of harms way. IMO
Originally Posted by boogaloodude
It's relative to where you are currently, and the difference can be minor, or it can be startling. It's most felt from a standing start, or when you throttle up at low rpms, like a bad turbo lag, but then as rpms build, you'd feel the power come on in a rush. I'd not want a bike that had less low rpms than a stock bike. I don't necessarily need more torque than stock from idle to 2200 or so, but I don't want any less.
Originally Posted by Northside
It'a about throttle response. With a good pipe you twist the throttle at any speed and the bike jumps. With a lot of loud, obnoxious, exhaust systems you can scratch your ego thinking everyone hears you and thinks you're cool cause you have a loud bike. They aren't though, especially if they have any knowledge of bikes. You twist the throttle and it's like sticking your hand into a bowl of mush. The straight pipes do make some power after you gain some r.p.m, but the guy riding next to you with a performance exhaust will be a block ahead of you by the time that happens.

So if you want everyone to notice you go with straights, they'll get a good look cause you aren't going anywhere soon. Me, I run a 2 into 1 and have fun riding.
Thanks guys - I am going with these slip-ons because there is no mistaking that the reviews on the sound of CFR's are incomparable - not looking for obnoxuious but that's not how they are being described. The loss of power is definately a common experience though because they are so open - I guess I will have to see how my bike reacts and go from there.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:25 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Here in PA when your shiftin your azz off on the long hills or in the mountains you will hate the loss... or worse two up!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:08 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm bettin this wont be your last exhaust mod!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:34 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

those pipes will also be tough to tune u will likley never get rid of the decel pop.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:01 PM
MareRider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There is an insert you can get to put in the pipes at the heads to help with back pressure on straight pipes.

Lookin fer the part #...

Quick Reply: when you say "loss of low end torque?