Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommend some padded (anti vibration) grips

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:24 PM
OlDusty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part number for later touring is 56100015

Old 04-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drukanfu
is to ride Bitch behind the wife on her yamaha !

Ummmm...........Pics please!! LOL

Old 04-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Harley's Nostalgic grips. Thick in the middle, feel great, look great and cheaper than the get a grips.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by OlDusty
My May issue (newest issue on stands now) of V-Twin magazine-page 16 has the install of these new Harley Anti-Vibration Grips. Their not the purdiest grips out there but they sure look comfy. I think I'll be gettin a set for myself.

Purdy is way down the priority list. I'm not a ratbiker, but I am a "function over form" kinda cat. If it does the job, it's beautiful in my eyes.

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
Before you spent a lot of money on cushioned grips, try this, Find a place that sells bulk foam and get a small piece of foam just large enough to wrap around your throttle & secure it with 2 rubber bands. Yes it will look bad, but if it helps you, then buy the expensive gips. If it doesn't help, then you saved the cost of the grips.
That's definitely an idea. I can probably find some foam in an old couch pillow or a liner out of an old skid lid in the garage.

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
Might want to try the HD gloves with the gel palms. Work great for me!
I don't seem to the have the problem as much when I'm wearing my cold weather gloves, which is the main reason I think softer grips would work. BUT...my tendency to lose gloves limits me to the cheaper ones, and I had a pair of HD gloves once and the seams around the fingers came apart in less than a year. I'm not a big fan of the "motorclothes" department.

Originally Posted by drukanfu
The real problem is really due to our age, Ibuprofen and frequent stops work for me.
You could have gone all day without saying it's age-related! And you're probably right, but there's not a lot I can do about that. Unfortunately, many of my longer rides are with a group so my stops aren't always up to me. Ibuprofen I can do.

Originally Posted by mastery
Kind of looks like the PM Renthal design that I have on my bike. Chrome capped on each end, and the little rubber nubs. I find the Renthals to be really comfortable...
Those are nice, and I know Renthal is a big name in the dirtbike community, but the only way I'd shell out > $100 for a set of grips is if I were certain they would solve my problem.

I'm going to a swap meet next weekend and I'll see what I can find there in the aftermarket. Otherwise, I might have to break down and go to a dealership to eyeball those "get a" grips firsthand.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Uncle Ned
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out, "Grip Puppies". I have them on an EGC over the stock grips. No need for the padded gloves. It does add thickness. If you have golf clubs with slightly larger grips, you'll like these things.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Ned
Check out, "Grip Puppies". I have them on an EGC over the stock grips. No need for the padded gloves. It does add thickness. If you have golf clubs with slightly larger grips, you'll like these things.
This idea has potential.

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/mo...PPUP/GPGL.html

You can't beat the price, and although the Gold Wing size might be a little small (I have the HD larger diameter grips) I could even buy some smaller cheapo grips, put these on, and still come out ahead.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avon makes some cushioned grips also that are supposed to be good.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter

Harley's Nostalgic grips. Thick in the middle, feel great, look great and cheaper than the get a grips.
Plus one on those grips. They are the most comfortable grips I have found. But to the OP; I have little or no vibration in the handlebars. If yours are vibrating enough to cause numbness I think that indicates something is wrong.

Also, I experience numbness sometimes on long rides and I think it is do to how I hold the bars creating pressure points. I try to reposition my hands and also put the cruise on and shake and exercise my hands. Stopping for a short rest helps too.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Peppa1
Avon makes some cushioned grips also that are supposed to be good.
I saw those, and they get mixed reviews here on the forums. One guy says they're the best thing since sliced bread and somebody else blasts them as mostly chrome plated plastic Chinese crap. Which I thought was funny since they're made in the USA, but the point was made.

I just ordered a set of the Grip Puppies mentioned above--for 11.99 and free shipping I can put them on the lawnmower handle if they don't work on the bike.

I wondered if that's the Avon that makes "tyres", or the one that rings your doorbell?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 648 Likes on 516 Posts

different avon ,they make golf clubs.most problems with them are they dont fit11/4 bars.but the price is right.

Quick Reply: Recommend some padded (anti vibration) grips