Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new guy with another breakin question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:57 AM
firefightermike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy with another breakin question?

Upon delivery. I'm going to ride my new streetglide home, about 70 miles. Change the oil as many suggest. My question is what about the other fluids. Trannny etc. Thanks

Old 04-03-2011, 08:01 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I would follow the manual recommendations, but that is just my opinion. Even if you do have some wear during the first 1000 miles, that is what the filter is for. As far as the transmission and primary, I would not change before the 1000 mile service.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

The other fluids can wait,just check the levels.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:28 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what the manual says. That's what it is for.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:32 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Quick Question

Originally Posted by firefightermike
Upon delivery. I'm going to ride my new streetglide home, about 70 miles. Change the oil as many suggest. My question is what about the other fluids. Trannny etc. Thanks
Just a quick question (not trying to be a wise ***)! Why in the world would you change engine oil with only 70, 100 or for that matter less than the recomended 1000 mile first service? Unless you were planning a long cross country that would run the bike past a recommended service interval why would you? I understand that it couldn't hurt but you could always argue an oil change every time you take out the bike.
I personally feel that the "break in" period for the bike is exactly that. It should be a period of time when you give the bike a chance to "seat" itself in. Just IMHO, best leaving well enough alone. For me less would be a whole lot more.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 AM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldnt change oil at just 70 miles either. The rings are still seating and with that seating you will get small metal particals dropping out. While you could change the oil i dont think it will make that much difference in the oil quality after just 70 miles. If you really wanted to try to get all of the metal particals out from break in you might buy one of those oil filter magnets.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 AM
firefightermike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. I have been reading,seems like hundreds of posts on this forum about the break-in period. Many have suggested changing the oil at 50, 500 and also the 1000 mile service. I agree about the manual break-in schedule. I broke my Honda in by the manual. There is just so many opinions. I guess I have over analysed. Just don't want to screw it up.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

I guess I have over analysed. Just don't want to screw it up.
if you follow the manual recomendations, you won't screw it up. it always amazes me how many people know more than the engineers who designed the product and wrote the manual

Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Seems like there are many here that want to change the oil several times during the break-in.
I bet the majority of owners dont and simply follow the mfg. suggested service intervals without any issues.

Has anyone actually done testing to see if multible break-in oil changes increase engine life?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:41 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 516 Likes on 318 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. I have been reading,seems like hundreds of posts on this forum about the break-in period. Many have suggested changing the oil at 50, 500 and also the 1000 mile service.
You will always get that on any forum.
Ask 100 people a question, and you'll get close to 100 different ways of doing something.

Just don't ask what kind of oil to use.

Quick Reply: new guy with another breakin question?