Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air shocks losing air. Anyone use this fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 440 Posts
Default Air shocks losing air. Anyone use this fitting?

I saw a post on here last month about air shocks losing air and someone removed the air lines and installed these fittings in there shocks. Now I can't find the post again. I did save a pix of the fittig on the shock. Anybody know where to get these fittings and what they are called? Thanks, Rick

Attached Thumbnails Air shocks losing air. Anyone use this fitting?-air-shock.jpg  
Old 04-03-2011, 12:09 AM
luckyhog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not use these fittings but check with your local water pump company they should have them. 1/8 pipe x schrader

Old 04-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Speed Racer
Novice
Default air fittings

you can buy those fittings at a auto supply there used for portable air tanks

Old 04-03-2011, 02:34 AM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, it's a schrader valve. If it is in fact leaking it's an easy check, spray some soapy water on it. If it bubbles you have a leak. If it's the core they unscrew using a valve core removal tool. If it's the body where it threads in try teflon tape.

Just a thought.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:36 AM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

May I just caution you about independent filling of the rear shocks... It's important to have equal pressure in both shocks and by filling them independent of one another, you must be extra careful not only to fill them to the same pressure, but also to monitor them carefully in case one loses pressure more quickly than the other (and they all lose pressure, however slowly). Not suggesting it can't work, but stay on top of it and monitor those pressures.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Why not just repair/replace the defective stock component?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:31 AM
18BKLR
Road Master

Yeah I don't think filling one at a time is a smart idea. Way better to leave them connected together. Go to a local truck stop and you can get the OEM fitting but better quality. There is a reason they are connected. Or just go to a spring preload set up. That will solve it as well

Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 AM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

Another thing is if you have a Paintball shop around go to them and tell them you need some lines . They have some real High Pressure hoses and fittings that work great . I used some as well as a gauge on mine with a compressor . They even have stuff like 90degree fittings that swivel this will help with vibration and such causing issues.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Chaffeekid
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on repairing the stock component. If you do not have the no loss fitting on the pump you are filling the shocks, you will lose air pressure when you disconnect or when you attempt to check the pressure, therefore you will think that you are losing pressure.
The best way to check or fill the shocks that I have found is to use the little harley pump that has a no loss valve. As stated above check to see if you are leaking air at any connection by using soapy water at each connection and at the valve, course make sure you have pressure in the shocks, before the soapy water.
There may be other no loss pumps available but I bought one from an indy for 49.95 and it works perfectly. Also take that little plastic cap from the schrader valve and toss it as far as you can. Then get you a metal cap, any auto store has them, they have an "O" ring inside and will help to prevent air leaks, also works good on the tires
Anyhoo, hope this helps
Ride Safe, watch for those road hazards

Old 04-03-2011, 09:57 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Check that the airlines are pushed into the fitting completely. Sometimes its as simple as that.

Quick Reply: Air shocks losing air. Anyone use this fitting?