Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up new 2011 SG - Very Frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:49 PM
TonyStark
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Just picked up new 2011 SG - Very Frustrated

I traded my 09 in on an 11 Power Pak Street Glide about a month ago or so. While it was still at the dealer I had some mods installed. I put on Jackpot 2/1/2 headers,V&H Twin Slash Rounds, SE A/C, SE204 Cam, Rev Performance EMS Tuner. So today's the day I was finally going to pick it up and ride. Weather here in WI is about 50 today not great but rideable. So I go pick it up and when I first start it........Man, that sounded good. The cam has a great idle. The new Jackpot headers along with my V&H Twin Slash Rounds sounded great. Noticeably louder than the 09 I traded in even though the 09 didn't have a Cat.

That's where the good ends. So as I pull out onto the highway I notice a little hesitation around the 1800-2500 RPM range. I just figured maybe the EMS is working itself in a little bit and it's not in the power band of the cam. I get up to highway speed and am shifting through the gears and running around 3000ish RPMs. Once it got up around 3000 rpms in it seems to run fine. Good pull- not great. I know you aren't supposed to lug the engine so I am trying to keep the RPM's a little higher as I'm riding. So I shift into fifth to see what the RPMs would be at and hit the throttle a little and clunk, ping, pop. I was like, whoa. Something is really wrong. Again, I thought maybe the tuner is adjusting itself. It seems to ride alright above 3000 but runs like crap below. I'm not just talking power band I mean runs bad. It shut off on me 2 times on the way home when I came to a stoplight.

So, after about 50 miles or so and a half a tank of gas later I drove back to the dealer and talked to the tech that worked on my bike. He said it sounds like a timing and fuel control issue and I should get in touch with Rev Perf. It pisses me off cause everyone that has this tuner had rave reviews about it. I thought I would just get on and ride. The dealer kept saying get the race tuner but I thought the EMS would be great for doing future mods and everyone else seems to love it. Now I am left wondering what is wrong at this point. The tech was almost acting like I told you so. In all fairness I am not bashing the EMS. I haven' had a chance to talk to Rev Perf so I'm not saying that if it is a tuner issue they won't take care of it.

So, now what? I don't know if I should stop riding the bike until the problem is fixed now or what. It runs alright 3k and above. It also runs alright if I take off easy and don't give too much throttle. At idle it seems alright and if I rev it at idle no blips. It's only under load. Anyone else have a similar experience or have any suggestions? Man, I'm frustrated!

Last edited by TonyStark; 04-02-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:01 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Isnt the dealer responsible to make the thing run right? you payed them for an install and a dyno tune didnt you ?

Old 04-02-2011, 02:04 PM
TonyStark
Intermediate

There is no need to dyno tune with the EMS. The tuner adjusts itself.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:10 PM
SG4Hoov
6th Gear

Did you buy all the goodies from Fuel Moto(I saw you had Jackpots) ? Had a similar issue myself. Got the TW-555 and Power Vision from Jamie. After install and loading custom map. Took bike out for quick ride and same thing. Running terrible when getting on the throttle till bout 3k. Quick phone call to Jamie and and email. 15 min later found issue map loaded on PV wasn't correct one(oops). Return email included the one for the 555. Loaded and who ha all is well with the world.
So if you got the EMS Tuner from FM Email him. I'm not familiar with the that tuner so not sure if it uses maps or what.
Good luck

Hoov

Old 04-02-2011, 02:11 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok well I run a pcIII usb and I did have mine dynoed but I got it done for free. I also had to modify the map for low speed as it had a surge in it but it really runs well . Heck the thing backfired out the air cleaner when it was stock and still does it sometimes .. Well id get in touch with the company that makes it and ask a lot of questions.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:20 PM
tarheelbagger1964
Banned

Same bike as you with 1500 miles on. 103, true dual head pipe without cat, vance and hines twin ovals, se a/c se race tuner. I did not do the cam either. All on before I took home. Now, the bike was dyno-tuned roughly but not to red-line. My dealer actually had it put on dyno to map at 1000 mile tune-service. The only difference is the type of tuner I guess. However, you need to take that new bike back asap and have them road test or rectify this problem, otherwise tell them to return it to stock and return your money back, there is an implied assumption that this service dept. will improve a bike not destroy it......I wouldn't ride it until it is RIGHT! Let us know what happens, good luck

Old 04-02-2011, 03:01 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

This is the first negative I've heard with the Rev Perf EMS involved. Bound to happen eventually I guess.
I agree the installer needs to make it right but I would call Rev Perf. before taking it back and see what they have to say.
Please keep us posted as this unfolds.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:19 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

sorry to hear about all the BS. I'm sure someone will give you some help. BUT why doesn't the shop that installed your mods FIX whatever problem there is OR at least try to fix it. You bought the bike there & they did the work. Find the OWNER or main man & tell him what "YOU WANT DONE" Hey, that's just my 2 cents

Old 04-02-2011, 05:29 PM
thecort
Road Captain

Originally Posted by n8dc
Isnt the dealer responsible to make the thing run right? you payed them for an install and a dyno tune didnt you ?

Old 04-02-2011, 05:41 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Did the tech send the ecm to rev perf for it to be refashed?

Quick Reply: Just picked up new 2011 SG - Very Frustrated