Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how about this switch for the garage door mod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011 | 07:56 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BadBagger08
Wouldn't want you to through out your thumb. Try flicking your high beam early, your door will go up when you get in range.
Tried that to, and my problem is the drive is about 75' long so the switch would be on high right before I enter my drive to be in range. Crossing the curb and going around other cars in the drive loses the signal and the fricken door is on its way back down. (cuz its still on high)

I've gotten used to stopping half way up the drive and I guess there are bigger problems in the world. Yea I know, what a puss

Old 04-02-2011 | 11:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by acchd
Here's another idea for you. Order HD switch 71764-07 it's meant for SE electronic lock saddlebags but this is a momentary switch and works great for garage door opener. Since you have a SG you'll have a empty switch slot to mount it in.
I like that idea, as it would match the other switches. It's $20 from Zanotti's, plus shipping.

Old 04-03-2011 | 12:04 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
I like that idea, as it would match the other switches. It's $20 from Zanotti's, plus shipping.
iclick yep gives it a nice custom look. I added a pic of switch to my original post.

Old 04-03-2011 | 01:07 PM
alkrisma
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by acchd
iclick yep gives it a nice custom look. I added a pic of switch to my original post.
that's nice. I'm going to do that as well. is the bottom of the switch complete (ready for 2 wires) or are other parts needed? what gauge wire did you use? I have 16 and a bunch of standard garage door remote lamp cord style wire. approx how long of a run is it from the switch to the top of the radio? [I haven't taken bike apart for the mod (yet)]

Old 04-03-2011 | 01:57 PM
stealthgoat
Advanced

Originally Posted by BadBagger08
Just tie into the high beam switch, then you wont have to remove your hand off the bars, Cost 0.00
I connected mine right at the head lamp plug. Just opened the back of the connector and soldiered my wire on and closed the connector after finished.

Jim
Jim, Is it two wires that have to be tied in at the headlight connector and also which two on the connector?
Thanks Chris

Old 04-03-2011 | 02:05 PM
alkrisma
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by stealthgoat
Jim, Is it two wires that have to be tied in at the headlight connector and also which two on the connector?
Thanks Chris
more detail would be appreciated

Old 04-03-2011 | 03:17 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

Buzzsaw did the switch (71764-07) for SE electronic lock saddlebags - it looks great.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/6238642-post1.html

Last edited by Potato_Potato; 04-03-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2011 | 03:24 PM
alkrisma
|
Road Captain

I agree, it looks real good

Old 04-03-2011 | 04:41 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by alkrisma
that's nice. I'm going to do that as well. is the bottom of the switch complete (ready for 2 wires) or are other parts needed? what gauge wire did you use? I have 16 and a bunch of standard garage door remote lamp cord style wire. approx how long of a run is it from the switch to the top of the radio? [I haven't taken bike apart for the mod (yet)]
alkrisma it's a SPDT momentary contact switch so it comes with 3 wires and plug. I just spiced(soldered) into it so I didn't cutoff butcher plug. Just need to solder middle pole and either one of other two wires into your garage remote and your good . I velcro my remote behind the inner fairing cap below switch.

Last edited by acchd; 04-03-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2011 | 04:44 PM
alkrisma
|
Road Captain

ok, thank you

Quick Reply: how about this switch for the garage door mod?