Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how about this switch for the garage door mod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011 | 12:14 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BadBagger08
Just tie into the high beam switch, then you wont have to remove your hand off the bars, Cost 0.00
I connected mine right at the head lamp plug. Just opened the back of the connector and soldiered my wire on and closed the connector after finished.

Jim
Thats the way mine is done, BUT something else to think about. When you normally switch from high to low you are riding and not pulling on the clutch lever. For me, when pulling in the drive way, my left hand is holding the clutch lever and its quite a stretch to operate the high/lo switch. Got tired of stretching the lig in my thumb and now stop and shift to neutral before opening the door.

Old 04-02-2011 | 12:18 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer

Originally Posted by bdp
Thats the way mine is done, BUT something else to think about. When you normally switch from high to low you are riding and not pulling on the clutch lever. For me, when pulling in the drive way, my left hand is holding the clutch lever and its quite a stretch to operate the high/lo switch. Got tired of stretching the lig in my thumb and now stop and shift to neutral before opening the door.
Wouldn't want you to through out your thumb. Try flicking your high beam early, your door will go up when you get in range.

Old 04-02-2011 | 03:39 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain

Would not riding with your high beam on always have the garage door activated?

Old 04-02-2011 | 05:52 PM
SGLarry
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Flintshooter54
Here is the one I ordered. $3.95 with the rubber cover.
Little Pushbutton Momentary Switch (5A) Tall

Small push button momentary ON switch with rubber cover and 12cm (4 1/2") leads. Leads are 4.5" (11.5 cm).
Fits in a 3/8" (9 mm) hole.
NOTE: This switch will fit panels up to 5mm in thickness.

It is about the third or fourth product down.
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El.../switches.html
They have both momentary and on / off. Make sure you get the momentary for the garage door mod.
That's the excact same switch that HD uses for the odometer reset button! (1/3 the cost I might add..) that's what I used for my garage door mod

Old 04-02-2011 | 06:02 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I've used this $3 switch from Radio Shack for several years and it has worked fine, jury-rigged to an old remote I had lying around. I've been in rain numerous times, but try to keep water off the dash and gauges when possible. Not rated waterproof and thus might not survive pressure-washing, although nobody should spray water in that location anyway.

Last edited by iclick; 04-02-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2011 | 06:21 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's another idea for you. Order HD switch 71764-07 it's meant for SE electronic lock saddlebags but this is a momentary switch and works great for garage door opener. Since you have a SG you'll have a empty switch slot to mount it in. Switch is beside Spot switch.

Last edited by acchd; 04-03-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2011 | 06:41 PM
69cj
Road Master

The last time I checked at the local dealer for the stock momentary switch with rubber cover they wanted 52 bucks plus tax. Even the parts person asked me if I really wanted it. I said no thanks and got an industrials grade switch from Grainger's for 12 bucks with cover.

Old 04-02-2011 | 06:46 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

I used a regular odometer switch - $12.00 I think.

On my RK I wired a remote into the high / low beam switch and it worked great but then I had to replace the garage door motor and all of the new ones use a 3 v remote.

Old 04-02-2011 | 07:15 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master

fwiw, it doesn't have to be a momentary switch.

Old 04-02-2011 | 07:24 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain

"fwiw, it doesn't have to be a momentary switch."
Good point. If you leave it on the "on" position the remote will just keep broadcasting a signal. If it is not wired direct it could run down the remote's battery. But in the high beam switch so could running on High beam. I went with the momentary button.

Quick Reply: how about this switch for the garage door mod?