Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help finding right bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you very much Dawg! I actually just found https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ld1-wo575.html
which has been very informative as well.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:50 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,322 Likes on 22,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Mntsnow
lionsm13 - Thanks for your reply but I wouldn't have started this thread if I had been able to find the information I was looking for. But I still appreciate your participation in this thread. Old Bones - Thank you for the info on the size chart. Scj - Thank you for the helpful tips.
Here ya go then; The threads that I said were there all along.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...r-wild-1s.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ltra-bars.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/searc...archid=8170745
That should give you a little bit of reading.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Trek
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great links and information here. Thanks! I just had a custom seat built, and it is great, but now I can't reach the handlebars! So, I'm also shopping for something that add 2" reach and a bit higher.

Good information there.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Trek
Tourer

Just finished installing the new handlebars. Couldn't be happier. I did take the new bar and the old bar to the local HD shop and they pulled the wires for me. Cost me 80 dollars, but it was done correctly and I didn't have to worry if I rewired the plugs correctly, etc. Took me 3 hours plus the money the shop charged to install them.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:01 AM
RockerBob
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue and did tons of online research, including looking at all of the dimensions. I looked hard at the Wild 1 575 and 577, but felt that the 575 were going to have the same wrist angle problem that the stock bars had, and that the 577 were going to be too tall. I just did a 2,000 mile trip and hit some nasty weather. My gloves were bone dry, and my buddies (that weren't behind a fairing) were soaked.

My other complication is that I have the HD GPS mount for the zumo (on the dash, like the CVO Ultra's have), and most taller bars will block that. If not for that constraint I would have gone for the 10" Monkey Bars.

I talked to my dealer and he suggested that I come in and try some bars he had on a bike on the floor. They were Santee 11" Dresser Apes on a SG and they looked and felt great. A few inches wider than stock, great wrist angle, and hands about shoulder height. They put the top of my hands just barely above the fairing and a little outside of it, but it's supposedly still inside of the shielded area aerodynamically (a few other forum members with these bars seem to back that up). They also clear the fairing speakers nicely, and are fairly wide set compared to most other bars that I've seen such that they don't block the dash-mount GPS.

Anyway, I looked at *every* bar out there, and even considered having some custom bars built. I have quite a few constraints, but I think the Santees are going to work great for me.

On the whole "pullback" issue, that's been pretty frustrating for me. What I really want to know is the wrist angle. Pullback doesn't necessarily tell you that, and it doesn't even really correspond to reach either, since you can usually adjust the bars over a decent range front to back (and that's actually more true with less reach angle / less pullback).

Anyway, I was lucky to be able to actually test these out, or I would have had no way of knowing how well they would work. I'll post a follow-up when I get them mounted and put a few miles on.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:57 AM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ROCKERBOB..would really like to see some pics when you get them on .... reading your post was like listening to myself talk...i've looked and looked and at all the same bars you mentioned...i am looking for the same position you describe (don't have GPS mouint but...)don't want hands over the fairing, but close to the top..
have been considering Yafee MBB, but worried i'll grow tired of the styling.
...and not that it is a real deciding factor but the Santee bars are realatively cheep.... Hows the quality?
Also...how tall are you? what bike?

Old 04-16-2011, 04:02 PM
RockerBob
Cruiser

Mike,

I'll definitely post some pics and a review when I get the bars on. Still waiting for some parts and doing my stereo upgrade at the same time, so it'll probably be a week or so.

I'm 6' 1" and have a custom made seat that puts me back 1.5" compared to stock. The Santee 11" bars felt really good on the SG that I tried them on, and on that bike they were pushed almost all the way forward. I'm guessing that on my bike I'll pull them back a little to get the same feel. Anyway, will post more when I know more.

Bob

Old 05-02-2011, 12:51 AM
RockerBob
Cruiser

I posted a new thread with a link to some pics of my Santee 11" Apes.

Santee 11" Dresser Apes on my Limited

Old 05-02-2011, 08:00 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tidbit1
I am in line for W O 575's i am told that i only need a 4 over clutch cable for my 09 SG. I agree it is hard to decide.

I used the 4" over with my wo575 bars. I had to reroute it to reach and it is still a little tight, but workable. I kinda wish I had gone with the 577 bars.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:27 AM
Bunky01
Stage I
Default My Custom built handle bars on my 2010 FLHX

I knew that I needed a 16.5 inch radius of swing of the end of the bars around the center axis of the handle bar clamp. The previous experiences with my Sportster and Dyna provided me with this information. On those 2 bikes a set of reduced reach handle bars combined with a 6 inch riser provided the necessary radius, rise and pullback. I searched all over the place to find a set of handle bars to give me this configuration for my 2010 FLHX and did not find any. I came across the Wild One 575's which claimed to have a 10 inch rise and a 13 inch pullback, which would provide me with a 16.40 inch radius, Radius = √ (10² + 13²). I thought I had found what I was looking for, unfortunately what they called a 10 inch rise and a 13 inch pullback was not the same as my definition or a lot of other manufacturers. The radius was around 15.4 inches. But these 1.25" handle bars were GORGEOUS and I had talked to a man who had suggested that he could extend my HD reduced reach handle bars that were on my FLHX at the time. Of course if he could extend my current HD reduced reach handle bars he could extend these. I turned the WO575s over to him with the instructions to extend the vertical section of the handle bars by 2.5 inches and to bring in the width of the bars from 34.5" to 32" (at a cost of $75). After he modified the handle bars I of course had to have them recromed (5 feet at $10/foot). I do not have my handle bars installed with the vertical part of the bars in line with the front fork. I've installed the bars with about a 30 degree rotation of the bars towards the rider. That's the vertical section of the bar rotated 30 degrees relative to the front fork. With this installation I had to increase my brake line and clutch cable 6 inches over stock. The Harley dealership installed the bars for me and I'm not sure what, if any, modifications they had to do with the wiring. I believe the wiring had been extended by the dealer when the bike was fitted with the HD reduced reach handle bars when I first bought the bike. The installation of the WO575s was my 2nd attempt at getting the bars right.
I called up an engineer at Wild One and talked to him about what I had done and I believe they may have incorporated some of my modification into their WO577s. It's hard to tell, with their measurement procedure being different than mine and me not having these bars on hand. They did not reduce the width to my 32 inch specification; in fact they went from 34.5 inches to 36 inches. Their WO577s have a radius about 2.5 - 3 inches greater than the stock WO575s which is about what I did to my set of WO575s. I believe the WO577s could have been a valid chose if they were available when I modified my WO575s, I'm not too sure about the width though and I'm a broad shouldered man.