Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011 | 02:05 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Looks like you had to trim both sides and the end of your 6x8. I cant find the RF dimensions but the cutout size for the polks is a good half inch wider and almost an inch longer. I don't think there would be much left of it if I had to trim it back to fit in the harley lid.

I guess my choice is pretty much narrowed down to the baggernation lids. Unless I could mount the 6.5" polks into these...
http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id300.html

And that I think isn't a bad idea. The MM6501's are rated at 125W continuous and have an efficiency of 94db! I think those babies will really rock. Maybe I don't need 6x9's on the back. Only problem is, what to do with that tweeter on the back.

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Here's the thread on accessing the rear speaker pin-outs of the HK radio:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...head-unit.html

As for speaker fitment in the HD lids, the Rockford Fosgate 6x8's fit after using a Dremel to remove material from each speaker.

Right side:

http://

Left side:

http://

These are in-progress pics; the speakers have been cleaned up a bit. I checked with RF before removing any material and was told by a tech in their Customer Service that no damage would be done to the speaker.

Both right and left sides of the speakers required some material removal along their sides to fit the width of the HD lids, and the left side required more material removal at the front to provide room for the grille to be installed. I also used KB Stik at the rear of the left side speaker to provide a better seal; there was a small gap between the rear of the lid and the speaker's frame.

As for the Polk's speakers' fitment, you can compare the RF T1682 speaker size to the Polks; the RF size is on their website.

My primary interest in the RF's is that they are one of a small selection of oval speakers that use a bridge to mount the tweeter. HD's two 5x7 speakers (one version is 2 ohm, the other is 1 ohm) use a bridge to mount the tweeter rather than a stalk mounted through the woofer cone--probably to avoid water intrusion at the stalk.

Carl

Old 12-14-2011 | 02:20 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by zeus33

I guess my choice is pretty much narrowed down to the baggernation lids. Unless I could mount the 6.5" polks into these...

And that I think isn't a bad idea. The MM6501's are rated at 125W continuous and have an efficiency of 94db! I think those babies will really rock. Maybe I don't need 6x9's on the back. Only problem is, what to do with that tweeter on the back.
Don't EVER think that ANY 6 1/2 speaker can compete with a 6 X 9. Isn't going to happen,..............believe me.

Lotta places make lids that house 6 X 9's..........If your going to spend the bucks on lids,.........at least make sure they hold 6 X 9's !!

You are obviously spending money to have a better sound system. Don't shortchange yourself by settling for less than 6 X 9's.

Good Luck !!!
JMHO !!

Last edited by GLACIERPEARL; 12-14-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2011 | 03:03 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Don't EVER think that ANY 6 1/2 speaker can compete with a 6 X 9. Isn't going to happen,..............believe me.

Lotta places make lids that house 6 X 9's..........If your going to spend the bucks on lids,.........at least make sure they hold 6 X 9's !!

You are obviously spending money to have a better sound system. Don't shortchange yourself by settling for less than 6 X 9's.

Good Luck !!!
JMHO !!
Ok, ok, thanks for the reality check. I needed that!

The only lids I've seen that can take a 6x9 are the the baggernation ones. I'm not a real fan just because I don't like the horizontal attitude of the speaker. I'd like it to be raised on the back a bit and maybe tilted in slightly.

Who else makes bag lids for 6x9s?

Old 12-14-2011 | 03:06 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zeus33
Ok, ok, thanks for the reality check. I needed that!

The only lids I've seen that can take a 6x9 are the the baggernation ones. I'm not a real fan just because I don't like the horizontal attitude of the speaker. I'd like it to be raised on the back a bit and maybe tilted in slightly.

Who else makes bag lids for 6x9s?
The lids that bagger nation sells are Cycle Sounds lids for those who are not aware.

Drew

Old 12-14-2011 | 03:08 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
The lids that bagger nation sells are Cycle Sounds lids for those who are not aware.

Drew
Thanks Drew. No, I didn't know, but I think we know the lids that we're talking about.

Are you aware of any other manufactures of lids that will accomodate a 6x9 speaker?

Old 12-14-2011 | 03:11 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Nope.

Drew

Old 12-14-2011 | 03:25 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Nope.

Drew
And Mr.Google doesn't know of any others either.

We should talk. I'll pm you.

Old 12-14-2011 | 07:21 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Guess I shoulda said: Lots of vendors MARKET lids that take 6 X 9's..............

Old 12-14-2011 | 11:15 PM
Pc PaiN
Road Captain

Sinister is coming out with new 6X9 lids that are angled towards the rider. They look pretty sweet.

Old 12-15-2011 | 01:41 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member

JM JOHN is that your wife or girlfriend? good look'n gal

Quick Reply: Saddlebag Speakers