Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011 | 08:53 PM
itsspeeds
6th Gear

Just curious of how those lids sound at 80mph. Seems like the sound is behind you and you wouldn;t hear it( passanger maybe?). They all sound great when they are parked, but its when your ridin on the highway with all the wind noise is what I wanna know about.

Old 04-02-2011 | 09:42 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scubamike
I have a Streetglide with a tourpak and have been thinking about either adding tourpak or saddlebag lid speakers and just want the best bang for the buck. I still need to be able to use most of my saddlebags. Thanks for any input.
If you want 'bang for your buck',....the saddlebag lids are big $$. They cost $400 just for the lids,.......then you gotta paint 'em,..$ 200, then ya gotta run a good amp,...$ 400,..........then ya gotta get a kick azz set of speakers,..$ 200.

Don't know how much BANG that is,....but it's a lotta BUCK !!!

Old 04-02-2011 | 09:53 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
If you want 'bang for your buck',....the saddlebag lids are big $$. They cost $400 just for the lids,.......then you gotta paint 'em,..$ 200, then ya gotta run a good amp,...$ 400,..........then ya gotta get a kick azz set of speakers,..$ 200.

Don't know how much BANG that is,....but it's a lotta BUCK !!!
GLACIERPEARL,

I guess I should not have used the term Bang for your buck, I guess I was just wondering which would give myself and my passenger the best sound between either the tourpak speakers and the saddlebag lids. I do understand the saddlebag lids will cost more money but if I would be happier with them in the long run. I am trying to avoid buying several different systems to get what I want and plan on keeping the bike for sometime. I also still want the function of most of the saddle bag. I am heading down to Laughlin for the River Run Rally the end of April and hope some of the vendors are there to view there products. I know your system is amazing but I do not want to go quite that nuts and still need to be able to have the system weather proof as I tend to ride in a fair amount of wet weather living in the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited by Scubamike; 04-02-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-02-2011 | 10:06 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scubamike
GLACIERPEARL,

I guess I should not have used the term Bang for your buck, I guess I was just wondering which would give myself and my passenger the best sound between either the tourpak speakers and the saddlebag lids. I do understand the saddlebag lids will cost more money but if I would be happier with them in the long run. I am trying to avoid buying several different systems to get what I want and plan on keeping the bike for sometime. .

You would be WAY happier in the long run with the 6X9's.

My Daddy always said: Do it once, and do it right. That's why I went 'overboard' on my build.

Old 04-02-2011 | 10:19 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I don't have a bagger so I have no idea how the bag speakers compare to the rears on an Ultra.

Old 04-03-2011 | 10:49 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I don't have a bagger so I have no idea how the bag speakers compare to the rears on an Ultra.
The rerar pods on an ULTRA only house a 5 1/4 inch speaker. Even the BEST 5 1/4 , is light years behind the 6X9's.

Old 12-08-2011 | 10:35 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Ok, so the consensus is Polk 6x9's for the saddle bag lids. I want the most kick *** speakers. MY daddy always said: "Don't do a lame-o half assed job, do it right the first time" (actually I said that, my dad doesn't talk like that).

Are hertz speakers marine grade? They seem to be more high end, any comments?

Old 12-08-2011 | 11:25 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by zeus33
Ok, so the consensus is Polk 6x9's for the saddle bag lids. I want the most kick *** speakers. MY daddy always said: "Don't do a lame-o half assed job, do it right the first time" (actually I said that, my dad doesn't talk like that).

Are hertz speakers marine grade? They seem to be more high end, any comments?
Zeuss - My only advice to you is make sure everything is going to work well together. If you are going with Polk 6x9, I would get the same series Polk's for the fairing. That way the speaker sensitivity and power handling are all matched up.

It's like building an engine. You can buy the biggest baddest cam on the market, but if the rest of the engine isn't designed to all work together you are going to be disappointed.

Zach

Old 12-08-2011 | 02:05 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
The rerar pods on an ULTRA only house a 5 1/4 inch speaker. Even the BEST 5 1/4 , is light years behind the 6X9's.
My buddy installed Polk DXi 650's in the stock Ultra tour pak pods on his 2011 CVO Street Glide, and more recently changed those out for component 6.5's (although I don't recall the brand). With the HD bass port kit and JL 200W 2-channel amp in the tour pak driving the tour pak speakers he says it sounds fantastic. I've included a couple of pics of his Polk installation.

Carl

Attached Thumbnails Saddlebag Speakers-p7250042.jpg   Saddlebag Speakers-p7250046.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011 | 06:47 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member

Yep, it's all gotta work together. My dad and I both were super impressed with the RF amp/speaker combo. no distortion all the way up. just loud, clear sound.

check out my mini-review on them:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...s-reviews.html

Quick Reply: Saddlebag Speakers