Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rain Gear Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:21 PM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rain Gear Thread

I've done extensive searching on and off this site and I'd like some feedback from folks that have rain gear they like. I'm leaning towards Harley gear. The hi Vis stuff looks like decent middle of the road gear. A lot of people seem to like it. But everyone keeps saying go for the gore Tex Harley gear and I don't know what one they're talking about I don't think the hi Vis or the more expensive illumination 360 is gore Tex. Anybody know if any of them are actually gore Tex? Those with hi Vis...do they breath at all? All suggestions welcome. I'm not interested in frog toggs...too many people end with them melted to their pipes.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

HD is only selling a black gore-tex jacket last time I looked at a catalog, cost around $225. Glad I bought the pants when they were available. I use them more than the jacket, as they work great as chaps on the cold days. Regardless I'd spend the $225 for the gore-tex jacket and try to find a pair of the gore tex pants online.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the high visibilty Harley set and think for the price it is a very nice set.

It colder weather my FXRG leather coat is water proof and I gave a pair of over pants that are water proof. This with some Joe Rocket gortex water proof gloves and some water proof boots work good in cooler weather.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 PM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

Thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 10:13 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my Harley gore-tex rain suite in 2002. In my 40 years of riding it is the best suite I have ever owned. I have spent not only hours with this suite in the rain but days and I never got wet. Not sure they still sell the suite I have but when I bought it I was working in a shop and got one heck of a deal on it. Gore-tex is the ONLY way to go!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:26 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a set of the Tourmaster rain gear. It is excellent. The pants have heat resitant panels on the inside of both legs so no melting. They have lots of pockets and even some vents for when it is hot and raining. Down side is that they do not pack down to a very small size. When on longer tours I have a set of the small Harley rain suits that pack into the hood of the coat. They pack down very small and do a good job of keeping you dry.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:03 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have the HD Overpass jacket and pants. Not gore-tex and not high vis but other than maybe being more visible I would not change a thing on them. They have kept me completely dry during some extended very, very heavy rain storms. They do not flap in the wind and are easy on and off. Look good and work well.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:32 AM
J-Rod75
Cruiser

I'm subscribing...in the market for a set of nice rain gear. i currently have frogg toggs....and they are GREAT! but...a lil more visibility is definitely a plus while on the roads...esp with road spray and/or precipitation! But it does a great job cutting down on the wind--I bought two pairs over the past few years and forgot the suit last year when I went to Americade...they were nice enough to sell me a 60-70 dollar suit for 90 bucks......

Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rain Gear

I'm heading to SoCal from Vancouver Canada next week - and all through Washington & Oregon, it's predicting rain.
I have a really basic unit a pal gave me for occasional showers, but I'm heading over to the dealer tomorrow and get a decent rain suit and gators.
I'd look around more, but a better set was at a local multi-brand shop and the set came to $600.00! Yikes!

Old 04-01-2011, 12:46 AM
E N AZ
Road Captain

I have the Harley Davidson High-Vis. I rode through some torrential rain storms in Alberta last summer and stayed perfectly dry. The visibility was very poor, so I was really glad to be wearing the High-Vis.

I also wore it over my leathers in 30 degree weather with freezing rain and snow flurries in the California mountains last year. It definitely helped keep me warm. It would probably be too hot to wear for any prolonged period unless it is raining.

It also has material on the inner right leg to prevent pipe burns, which is a must on my 2010 Ultra.

I have rode in the rain at least 10 times and stayed completely dry. The High-Vis is very pricey, but staying warm and dry is worth every penny I spent.

Quick Reply: New Rain Gear Thread