Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st startup out of winter storage, EFI

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 PM
dboyenga
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st startup out of winter storage, EFI

Been thinking with too much time on my hands (long winter). After sitting for over 4 months with all the lube dripping down from where it should be in the upper engine, is there an easy way to crank the engine over without starting to get the oil flowing, to do a little pre-lubing, prior to startup. Does anyone ever worry about it?

Old 03-31-2011, 08:43 PM
zam70
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nope...make sure there is a good charge in the battery, gas in the tank, hit the start button.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:14 PM
Groversue
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And Ride Baby Ride!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:02 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

A good practice is to start the bike and let it idle for a minute or more to get the oil circulating. The take off easy for the first mile or so.

I do that not just after winter storage but since I rotate the bikes that I ride they all have been sitting for a while before each ride. Even if it was used each day.

The worst thing that can be done to any internal combustion engine is to rev it hard when it is cold.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:43 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

just make sure you have your battery charged up, check your tire pressure, and get out and ride. of course, let the motor run a little bit to warm up before taking off. enjoy your summer, it's almost upon us, finally.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:40 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Pull the plug wires and run the starter for 10 seconds to get pressure up top. Then reinstall the wires and let her rip!

Old 04-01-2011, 06:23 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
Pull the plug wires and run the starter for 10 seconds to get pressure up top. Then reinstall the wires and let her rip!
You could go ahead and pull the plugs, it'll make it easier to turn over. Maybe put a little MMO in there as well.
Don't crank the starter for tool long, those motors aren't designed to run for more than 30 seconds or so at a time.
That being said, I wouldn't worry about it.
I changed my fluids, topped off the gas tank (Seafoam added) and fogged my cylinders when I put it away so that oil is still there.
Best way to get the oil flowing is just to ride it. Cranking the starter or idling won't produce much oil pressure.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:46 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As stated, check her out good, fire it up, let it warm up and go.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:52 AM
mnskip
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyenga
Been thinking with too much time on my hands (long winter). After sitting for over 4 months with all the lube dripping down from where it should be in the upper engine, is there an easy way to crank the engine over without starting to get the oil flowing, to do a little pre-lubing, prior to startup. Does anyone ever worry about it?
My son put a heater on the oil pan before he fired his up, but that was a month ago. I am hopefully going to crank mine up Saturday.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

trying to read these posts, but cant stop looking at the avatar dr plastic has ahaha

Quick Reply: 1st startup out of winter storage, EFI