Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAM Upgrade for a 2011 FLHTK.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:07 PM
gdaustin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAM Upgrade for a 2011 FLHTK.

Yes I know, another cam thread. The problem with having tons of information available is it becomes overwhelming. Just keep in mind that you are talking to someone who has no idea what the affects of +4 advance would have. I find that it is better to ask those who know than to assume I know. My sig has my current build information. I am only looking at doing so-called bolton mods, so no machining the heads etc. I do most of my riding in the lower RPM range < 4250. I use my bike mostly for cruising the country as my previous 2008 FLSTC went to California and back with me and the wife last summer. I am usually the one who has my son and most of the luggage (even when son stays home). I do not believe I have ever tried to go WOT so no racing, not even with my brothers 08 fatboy . So my question is this. I would like to get the best CAM for low/mid improvement. I am not really interested in pushing this configuration to the limit if it is going to cost me on the MPG. I would like to have enough power so as I get ready to go over the rockies I am not shifting constantly like I was last summer and when I hit the flat lands like western Kansas I am not looking for a gas station constantly cause my MPG really sucks. I am not limiting my choices to Harley products but I would like to stay with them if they have a very close alternative. Not to bash those who have changed everything to aftermarket parts but I did by a Harley and if I changed the engine to an S&S and the tranny to a Baker etc, etc the ownly thing left harley would be the emblem. Thanks for all the quick responses I have received on my other posts and stay safe.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 PM
bluegrassboy
Tourer

I put SE255s in my 2010 limited and got it dyno tuned at the same time....I really like it.....it's not a race bike, but it's got plenty of low end......mileage is probably less....haven't checked....

Old 03-31-2011, 06:28 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

Cycle Rama 575 cams, good torque, they come on stong around 2500 rpm's and are quiet

Old 03-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Either the Cycle Rama 575 or Woods TW5-6 would be a great choice, with all the bottom end you'll want, and a very strong mid range, right where you actually ride on the street. Those would be my first two choices, followed by the SE204, HQ525, and Fueling Reaper 525. Then the Andrews 54 and Woods 555. Pretty much in that order.

I've ridden a couple of bikes with the 255 cams in, and they're really snappy off idle, but don't have the legs some other performance cams do, mostly because of the short duration. They can be a good choice, though, if you tend to ride 2-up a lot or pull a trailer. I like them for the 96 motors, but there's just too many better choices for the 103 motors.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:34 PM
gdaustin
Advanced

If I decided to go with say the SE255 cams since I already have a TTS Mastertuner would a dealer install them without putting in the dowload? The download would be a useless waste of money as I would immediately override it once I got home. I am assuming they will give me the whole warranty being voided if I do not bull. Also if I do get the cams installed, will the bike be rideable till I can get it home and get the v-tune started? The closest dealer is about 40 miles each way. Not that I have decided to have this done by the dealer as everyday I look at the posts about self installs and I might just give it a go. I would have to wait till winter if I did it but that would give me plenty of time to get all the parts and tools. I have a few 4,000+ mile trips scheduled for this summer.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gdaustin
If I decided to go with say the SE255 cams since I already have a TTS Mastertuner would a dealer install them without putting in the dowload? The download would be a useless waste of money as I would immediately override it once I got home. I am assuming they will give me the whole warranty being voided if I do not bull. Also if I do get the cams installed, will the bike be rideable till I can get it home and get the v-tune started? The closest dealer is about 40 miles each way. Not that I have decided to have this done by the dealer as everyday I look at the posts about self installs and I might just give it a go. I would have to wait till winter if I did it but that would give me plenty of time to get all the parts and tools. I have a few 4,000+ mile trips scheduled for this summer.
If you're a reasonable competant novice mechanic, you can easily handle a cam change.

One of our forum members (atrain68) has written a damn fine tutorial for beginners who want to do their own cam change. Armed with this and the service manual, you can easily do it in a day, and save 500 to 800 bucks in labor costs.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-write-up.html

Old 04-03-2011, 06:09 PM
TonyStark
Intermediate

As you know there are lots of opinions on cams. Based on how you describe you ride I think the SE255 would work well for you. They are also EPA compliant so dealers shouldn't give you crap about warranty stuff (especially since it's the stock cam on the Screamin Eagle bikes). But, since you already have the 103 in your Ultra Limited there are many options that could give you pretty close low end torque as the SE255 and great mid range.

I have the 103 in my 2011 Street Glide and decided to go with the SE204 cams. Like boogaloodude said above the Cycle Rama 575s and the TW5-6's would fit the bill too. Lots of good cams for your riding style that work well with your current set up.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:30 PM
jdaws
Advanced

So many choices and opinions your going to get confused here.
For what you are looking for I would recomend, SE255 or a Andrews 48H. Both are specified as low end torque bagger cams.
The 48H would give you a litter more in the mid RPM range

Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Frank Smith
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Another good choice is the Woods TW6 or 7.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:12 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

255s or also the 254e....

Quick Reply: CAM Upgrade for a 2011 FLHTK.