Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do Amazon mp3's not play on H/K stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:27 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluegrassboy
Is this Written in English?....
Sorry - I'm an audio engineer by trade, so sometimes I forget that some people aren't.

Long story short -- There are ID tags embedded into MP3 files (title data, album & artist, etc.). The "old" ones were the ID3, the new ones are version two (ID3v2). I think HD/HK needs a firmware upgrade to deal with the V2's properly... But those tags can be removed from the MP3 data without resampling the data (MP3's are very lossy, non 'audiophile grade' extremely compressed audio data and resampling goes through all that loss again - so you don't want to re-render MP3's unless you really, really need to).

Bookmarked that MP3 Tag program... I see it has batch processing -- Going to find out if it has some sort of batch process for removing v2 tags. That would be stupendiferous.

Anyway, I don't know if any of it will help, but I blogged about this (specifically, MP3's for the HD/HK radio) here: http://www.johnscrip.com/html/blog_f...y_davidson.php

Some of it might come in handy. Non-scientific research -- Simple T&E going on.

Last edited by JohnScrip; 04-01-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
Bookmarked that MP3 Tag program... I see it has batch processing -- Going to find out if it has some sort of batch process for removing v2 tags. That would be stupendiferous.

Anyway, I don't know if any of it will help, but I blogged about this (specifically, MP3's for the HD/HK radio) here: http://www.johnscrip.com/html/blog_f...y_davidson.php

Some of it might come in handy. Non-scientific research -- Simple T&E going on.
Johnscrip, yes, MP3tag has a batch option. Add all the music files, hilite them, and in the 'Options Dialogue' tab (farthest one on the right, next to 'Help'), a new window pops up. Select the 'Ape, MPC' option in the left window, and you have an option to remove all ID3v2 tags with one click.

And thanks to your blog article, it's where I read about the tag issue a few months back, and that led me to research & discover the MP3tag program. If you like the program, glad to repay you for your info that helped me out. It was driving me nuts why my Amazon mp3s would sometimes not play on my bike, but be fine in my truck.