Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide wind shield question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM
rugglesxx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Glide wind shield question

Hi

Currently ride an 07 Road King Custom that I fit a detachable screen to for long-distance tours. I'm considering trading up to a new Street Glide - is it easy to swop out the stock wind deflector for a taller one? I would be wanting to do this touring and then put the stock one back on for day-to-day riding. Also, any tips on suggested heights?

Cheers

John
UK

Old 03-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Gdub
Cruiser

3 bolts/screws. I just switched to the Klock werks 6.5 and could not be happier.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

It just requires loosening three screws to remove one shield and replace it with another. As for windshield height, it depends on a lot of things including your height.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Welcome to the forum, a recurve will get you more wind protection with less height. Good luck

Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 AM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im about 6' tall and I like the 8 inch blacked out windshield. I can see over it and it provides good protection. Any taller than that and I wouldnt be able to run a tinted shield as I wouldnt be able to see over it. Im not a 100% positive but Im pretty sure you measure from the middle screw to the top of the windshield to measure the height. Hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:43 AM
old.gezr
Road Captain

Call Jim at www.fastaire.com . He can steer you to a windshield that you will like and his service, quality and prices can't be beat. Ride safe.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most people have them come up to somewhere between their chin and the bottom of their nose. While sitting in their normal riding position.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a snap! Three screws loosened, and pull it out, and put the new one in. Tighten them down, and you're on your way. I've got the Klock Werks 6.5 and 8.5, and change them out all the time, depending on the duration of the ride. Long trips (over 2000 miles) I roll with the 8.5. Everything else, 6.5. They look and perform great. Sorry I don't have a pic in my sigpic, but you can check them out on their website. Great product.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Flatlander1
Stage III

Originally Posted by rugglesxx
Hi

Currently ride an 07 Road King Custom that I fit a detachable screen to for long-distance tours. I'm considering trading up to a new Street Glide - is it easy to swop out the stock wind deflector for a taller one? I would be wanting to do this touring and then put the stock one back on for day-to-day riding. Also, any tips on suggested heights?

Cheers

John
UK
I have a Baggershield I bought from Chrome World and I love it. I used to switch out my windshields as well and it isn't a big deal, just three bolts. However, I don't have to worry about it. I just leave it in the short position for the "day-to-day" riding then if I go touring I switch it to the tall position. There are three small ***** that sit just above my windshield bag, so they're hardly noticable. Looks great, at a distance it still looks like you have a short shield even when it's in the high position. Hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:33 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

I run a clearview 6.5" with a recurve... It works GREAT.. Much better than the stock unit.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=11

Quick Reply: Street Glide wind shield question