Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice. Removing hardware from Road King Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Advice. Removing hardware from Road King Windshield

I'm installing an LRS 17" windshield on my Road King and looking for advice on removing the hardware that is bonded with some type of adhesive to the windshield and what I should use to bond the hardware to the new windshield. Thanks for any advice from those that have been there.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:36 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Are you talking about the adhesive tape that is on the rear side of the braces? If so just go and pick up the pieces from the dealer, 58416-77A (2) and 58417-77 (2). $3.35 and $1.80 respectively.

Last edited by dawg; 03-30-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Dawg. What I'm really trying to do is remove the horizontal metal braces on the front and back of the windshield and the vertical braces on the front of the shield on left and right side. They are apparently held on there with some type of adhesive and I want to remove them and reinstall on an LRS Road King w/s. I have removed the side braces that attach to the bike and all the screws and nuts. Now I need to get the hardware removed from the w/s that is shown in the thumbnail.

Attached Thumbnails Need Advice. Removing hardware from Road King Windshield-img_0571a.jpg  

Last edited by Cornhusker; 03-30-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 AM
bbflhrs
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently installed a new 17" LRS on my bike. The metal strips need some coaxing to come off after you remove all of the torx screws/nuts. Then I used goo gone to remove the old adhesive. I bought a 5 foot roll of 3M double sided tape at AutoZone and it was the perfect width and length. Just apply to the metal strips and put on the new windshield.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bbflhrs
I recently installed a new 17" LRS on my bike. The metal strips need some coaxing to come off after you remove all of the torx screws/nuts. Then I used goo gone to remove the old adhesive. I bought a 5 foot roll of 3M double sided tape at AutoZone and it was the perfect width and length. Just apply to the metal strips and put on the new windshield.
Thanks for that info bbflhrs. What king of coaxing are you referring to? I don't want to damage the OEM shield and not sure what tool to use to coax them off with.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up

OK, I think I fingered it out. Took a pick with a 90° angle and slipped under one end of the verticals and popped them off, now to see what I can do with the horizontals, they're tight to the shield at both ends.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:44 AM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

Just flex the plastic until the end peels loose and then peel it the rest of the way off. You don't need tools. The polycarbonate shield won't break but it will scratch

Old 03-30-2011, 11:46 AM
bbflhrs
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a small screwdriver, but you're going about it the right way. You just have to do a little prying under the end edge and they should come off. The adhesive residue was the pain, but like I said, goo gone and WD40 worked to clean them up. When reinstalling the metal supports make sure you don't over-torque them. They will bend.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the info. I have some double sided tape here and have all the hardware off now, so away we go. Thanks again.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up

Got her on and took a short ride. 40° outside and heading for 60's this week-end. Looking to get some riding time in then.

Attached Thumbnails Need Advice. Removing hardware from Road King Windshield-img_0577e.jpg   Need Advice. Removing hardware from Road King Windshield-img_0581i.jpg  

Quick Reply: Need Advice. Removing hardware from Road King Windshield