Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King vs. Street Glide??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 05:46 PM
jjsanta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Road King vs. Street Glide??

I had to make the same decision and ended up with an SG. The main tipping point for me was the stereo and the fact that I just saw too many Road Kings out there. Granted, we'll probably start seeing a lot of SGs pretty soon, but it will take a while to match the number of RKs on the road. You have to be wiling to live with a permanent fairing to go with the SG - I wasn't sure about it at first, but now I am hooked. There's no wrong decision here - just go with your gut.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:59 PM
ldr999
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

tough decision---I went with the SG---it ljust looked cool and has a AM-FM/CD Player

Old 10-17-2006, 06:01 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Either. They both are basically the same bike. Just get the one you like best.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:03 PM
stsltd
Advanced

Just adding my 2 cents - had one of the first Road King Classics - rode it for eight plus years, loved it. Over that time, only had the windshield off a few times, actually liked riding without it around town but did not ride around town much. Liked the look of the Classic leather bags but there were a number of times I would have preferred to be able to lock them (locks did not come out till later)

Really was not looking to change but got a bug to try an Ultra - while it probably sounds strange it seems to ride like a smaller bike - could be the fairing - could just be changes in suspension since 1998 - seems easier to ride at slow speeds, don't know why, they really are the same bikes....

Anyway - like the stereo, locking bags, even the fairing but that's just me -

Good luck in your decision - Would recommend that you take a few weekends and rent one of each and see what you think - put some miles on them before you purchase

Old 10-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned and loved both. Comes down to personal preference. Personally if I had to buy another I'd go with the SG again.

I like the rent both idea. Only real way to compare and contrast.

Primo

Old 10-17-2006, 06:51 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought a Road King in 1994, one of the first loved it, then a Road King Classic in 1998, loved it the style was great, ride FINE. In 2001 I bought the teal and white Road King Classic for the color and the new motor, loved it, this summer after having a Road King for 12 years I bought a SG, I have had it for 2 months and 9000 miles and I like it as good as the Kings. I like the fairing and the tunes and the style and ride. Both are GREAT rides. I am very happy with the SG.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:04 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to same problem.

Ended up buying one of each.

I love both for different reasons. It all depends on personal preference. I enjoy my SG for longer rides and the tunes. The batwing does a good job with wind and the tunes are a nice addition. The SG feels like a lighter bike when riding compared to the RK (but it's not).

The RK has more fun factor IMO. If you want to cruise around town you can ditch the windshield. If you want to go for a longer ride just slap on the shield. I think the RK has more of a classy look whereas the SG looks more like a "bad ***".

You can't go wrong either way. It all depends on which one you like the looks of more.

Look luck with your choice - it's a difficult one.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:23 PM
06BlackFLHXI
Tourer

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Streetglide is basically a RKCustom, with fairing/gauges/stereo and the coolest rear fender....easy choice for me!

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 10-17-2006, 08:41 PM
SDSUaztec
Intermediate

I actually went from and RKC to a SG. They are both very comfortable rides and have a great look to them. All in all if I had to choose one over the other, it would definatley be the SG. What sold me on it was the fairing and radio.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Darryl88
Road Captain

It was a toss for me to, I ordered the SG.......cant wait till it shows up one more week

Quick Reply: Road King vs. Street Glide??