Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp Mode???

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:12 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

2011 Street Glide

I was stuck in city traffic this evening in 85 degree weather.

While idling for a while at a light, my bike started to 'Chug' and run kind of rough.

I thought that this may have something to do with the Heat Management system, so I turned the throttle forward a few times, trying to engage/disengage the Heat Management icon on the dash.

The light changed green and I rode for ~2 miles before stopping.

When I stopped, I noticed the engine light was on, and that I could give the bike full throttle, but would only get minimal revs, barely more than idle RPM speed.

I shut the bike off, fired it back up, and everything was fine.

Could this lack of power have anything to do with the Heat Mgmt, Limp-home mode, etc?

I should also mention that I just did SE255 cams, and I'm running the TTS 'canned' map for this set up. Could this also be an issue?

Thanks

Old 05-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

You get that limp mode because Harley won't fix the limberdick flywheels in the low end. It's to reduce the jolt to the flywheels so they won't "scissor." They got rid of the "manly" cables for the "gay" fly by wire. Sounds like a circus act where guys wear tights, "fly by wire". Well I still have cables and I don't limp or stagger, my bike is always in "haul *** mode!"

Old 05-30-2011, 10:53 AM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
You get that limp mode because Harley won't fix the limberdick flywheels in the low end. It's to reduce the jolt to the flywheels so they won't "scissor." They got rid of the "manly" cables for the "gay" fly by wire. Sounds like a circus act where guys wear tights, "fly by wire". Well I still have cables and I don't limp or stagger, my bike is always in "haul *** mode!"
Mine too with fly by wire and no cables, Have never had a problem 28,000 miles daily ride in AZ heat .. Great feature

Old 05-30-2011, 12:29 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This reminds me of another Harley term that bugs me....."Jiffy Stand", good grief. That sounds just plain silly to me. It should be something more manly like, "hog leg".

VR

Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 PM
BAMC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DRSpencer-- I think you were in Parade mode (single cylinder feature for heat management) and not the Limp mode (FUBAR but you can ride).

Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BAMC
DRSpencer-- I think you were in Parade mode (single cylinder feature for heat management) and not the Limp mode (FUBAR but you can ride).

O.K., I was out again tonight, stuck in hot, city traffic. Only this time, I made sure the EITMS (heat mgmt.system) was on before I rode.

Sure enough, when temp reached 267* or above, the rear cylinder would drop out. This only happened while stopped at traffic lights.

When pulling away from the light, the bike had plenty of power, and it was business as usual. This happened several times during the evening.

If I were do disable the EITMS under these conditions, would the rear cylinder keep firing, and eventually put the bike into 'limp' mode?

Could this be what happened to me the other night, when I wound up in 'limp'?

Thanks

Old 05-31-2011, 12:00 AM
SkipCarey
Tourer

I dont think heat alone will put it in limp mode only a ecm malfunction, I leave mine activated seems silly not to use it in summer heat

Old 05-31-2011, 12:18 AM
N2STUFF
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOGNOT
This reminds me of another Harley term that bugs me....."Jiffy Stand", good grief. That sounds just plain silly to me. It should be something more manly like, "hog leg".

VR
+1