Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlin Fan Club?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011 | 03:16 PM
notrailers
|
Road Master
Default Ohlin Fan Club?

I ordered a set of #2-1 for my 09 FLHX from Howard.
I've run Legend Air Rides, Progressive 440's (12") and 940's.

I am asking myself if I am going to be pleased as all of you out there that have them already?

Old 03-29-2011 | 03:20 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

Be sure to give a review, I plan to change my rear shocks when I change my tire and bags, I'm so happy with the progressive monotube I have up front that I was thinking about using the 940's in the rear, but I'm always looking.

Old 03-29-2011 | 03:36 PM
notrailers
|
Road Master

Will do!
FYI: I weight 180 lbs and the 940's sack was about 1/2" vs the 1" drop they claim. Otherwise they where a nice ride. My buddy loves them, but he weights around 230 lbs.

Old 03-29-2011 | 03:46 PM
Redcrow
Cruiser

I started to ask about these shocks in another thread, however, not sure what everyone was talking about! I have an 09 SG and don't care for the shocks at all they bottom out and don't ride well in my opinion I'm 6'2 and wiegh 250 then if I put on a passenger they bottom even worse. So my question is what to do?

Old 03-29-2011 | 03:59 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member

2009 RG SE CVO
Ohlin's #3-3
$740 shipped and pre set to my riding weight & style
and he will even walk you through the install - if needed

my bike rides so much better ! like it was designed to -HD stock air shocks are a disgrace OEM

Keeps the original ride height but nearly doubles the travel - if that's what you want

Keeps the rear wheel on the pavement

No bottoming out

Quick adjustment for passenger added

Simple damping adjustment

Totally rebuildable

they look beautiful too

5 year warranty (?)

transfer them to your next FL HD ride, you won't want to give them up, or sell your stock shocks to fund the cost of the OHLIN'S

can you tell I LOVE them ?

Howard G. Messner
1-954-449-6173 E.S.T.
http://motorcyclemetal.com/

Howard will talk on the phone for hours making you Get It - understanding shock performance - he does not mind you calling him

no hard sell - real nice guy ... ask for the forum discount

Last edited by Cosmic Charlie; 03-29-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2011 | 04:09 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
2009 RG SE CVO
Ohlin's #3-3
$740 shipped and pre set to my riding weight & style
and he will even walk you through the install - if needed

my bike rides so much better ! like it was designed to -HD stock air shocks are a disgrace OEM

Keeps the original ride height but nearly doubles the travel - if that's what you want

Keeps the rear wheel on the pavement

No bottoming out

Quick adjustment for passenger added

Simple damping adjustment

Totally rebuildable

they look beautiful too

5 year warranty (?)

transfer them to your next FL HD ride, you won't want to give them up, or sell your stock shocks to fund the cost of the OHLIN'S

can you tell I LOVE them ?

Howard G. Messner
1-954-449-6173 E.S.T.
http://motorcyclemetal.com/

Howard will talk on the phone for hours making you Get It - understanding shock performance - he does not mind you calling him

no hard sell - real nice guy ... ask for the forum discount
Did you do anything upgrade wise to your front suspension?

Old 03-29-2011 | 04:32 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member

I only weigh 165 - front end feels fine for me ...

some people recommend going to a heavier SE fluid before changing out whatever on the fronts ...

changing the rear ride height can really F up the front stock performance - best to know where you headed before you make changes - so I read here anyway

Howard has comments / info / advise about the front end as well

I think Howard said he worked at the Daytona speedy as a Ohlin shock expert at one time - no BS - and he designed the HD FL shock he has an exclusive on ... (I think) ask him - he likes to educate (as he says)

I'm just a rookie with this stuff

Old 03-29-2011 | 04:44 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior

CC what does the 3-3 mean. Also I heard that Ohlin's are working on a HD front end.

Old 03-29-2011 | 08:17 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member

Ohlins #3-3

Model #3 set up with options #3 from his web site

this set up replaces the STOCK 2009 & 2010 (?) rear RG & SG CVO shorter (lowered / hardly any travel) air shocks ( 12" ?) without changing the bike height, but the height (length) can be changed if you chose... the shocks are roughly 13" and a bit more longer but fit just like the original 12" , but give you the extra travel & dampening most people want.

the coil over spring will vary on his Ohlin's shocks, picked by Howard to match your weight, the passengers weight (possibly), the way you dressed your bike - Tour Pak ...) and the type of riding - both single and or 2 up, and performance type riding you prefer as well - they have a full range of springs to make future changes if you need them

I believe it's an oil shock on the bottom & gas shock on the top half, with a dampener in between to find your sweet spot (?) -

the coil over spring initially sets your sag, and then the pre-load for your weight or added passenger / travel load weight - the coil over adjustment is a simple twist to the next pre-set notch(s) up or down as needed for weight changes

the dampener is just a simple twist **** to stiff them up or soft them down, twisties vs smooth touring ...

& I know nothing about this stuff - I may have some miss facts here

Howard loves calls from any enthusiast to "make you educated"

He did mention for me to call him before I make changes to my front end, if & when ...

& I know zip about other shock designs... I'm sure there are better / and worse ... just my opinion here

Last edited by Cosmic Charlie; 03-29-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-29-2011 | 08:29 PM
cycler
Road Master

having them installed this week

Quick Reply: Ohlin Fan Club?