Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlin Fan Club?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011 | 01:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by In10SS
I can't wait to see what Howard is working on to fix the geometry problem with the triple tree.
My understanding is that Howard is working on a replacement top triple-tree, but I don't think he intends altering the geometry, which would also require a new bottom one. The stock fork legs have a top-hat shaped nut at the top, which prevents fitting an Ohlins fork cartridge. Howard proposes to use a longer fork tube to pass through his new triple-tree, so the cartridge adjusters are accessible on top of it. His new yoke, as we call it here in the UK, will also provide more support to the top of the fork tube, which should add to the improved ride.

Old 04-03-2011 | 10:59 AM
In10SS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grbrown
My understanding is that Howard is working on a replacement top triple-tree, but I don't think he intends altering the geometry, which would also require a new bottom one. The stock fork legs have a top-hat shaped nut at the top, which prevents fitting an Ohlins fork cartridge. Howard proposes to use a longer fork tube to pass through his new triple-tree, so the cartridge adjusters are accessible on top of it. His new yoke, as we call it here in the UK, will also provide more support to the top of the fork tube, which should add to the improved ride.
That would be a real advantage. I was hoping he would figure out a way to replace the upper and lower to move the location of the top forward a bit which would help some of the low speed handling ills by providing a more favorable angle. Considering all the other bolt on stuff that could be impacted by that, it may not be feasible. Probably just an incremental improvement over what I have, but I'd seriously consider this route on my next bike. Ohlins front and rear. . .Wow! I hope we didn't stray too far from the original poster's subject.

Old 04-06-2011 | 03:09 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Just set my Dyna up with #3's and had a custom made innards that gives me a adjustable front end too. Worked closely with Howard, he knows his $hit. Got to thinking about this last year after my Hoka Hey run and going airborne on my Ultra (recovered and did not crash but had to change the boxers), the stock was good for me for many years but after that scare I knew something had to be done if I was to continue extreme LD riding. I am taking the Dyna up for some extreme twisty testing (riding with cHarley, hardcore twisty rider, very hardcore) in the Dragon area for a week, will be doing full report and evaluation of it when I return. I plan to do another HHC this year on my Ultra will have 3's or 6's on it and hopefully the new front end if ready, if its not ready I will do a stop gap go with the Emulators and some Ohlins springs to get me by. I expect this years event to be longer and more extreme.

Old 04-06-2011 | 03:19 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by In10SS
Ohlins front and rear. . .Wow! I hope we didn't stray too far from the original poster's subject.
Almost too much excitement to deal with!

Look forward to hearing more on your set-up Masterblaster. Have a great trip.

Old 04-10-2011 | 02:50 PM
dkitch
Cruiser

Have a '03 ultra bought a set of HD 927 from Howard put them on this winter so far haven't put more than a 100 miles so far but what a dif.

Old 04-10-2011 | 03:18 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member

I weigh 170# only got about 240 miles on my new RKC and really like the ride. I have ridden over stuff that would have killed my azz with the 07 flstf I had.
So far I like the OEM rear shocks and front works good too. Just my 2 cents.

That being said, if i was touring and carry a load and 2 up, and the OEM was not working, I would appreciate a better rear shock for sure.

Old 04-10-2011 | 08:39 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster
had a custom made innards that gives me a adjustable front end too.
More info about the custom made "innards" please. Who made em, what do they adjust; preload, compression/rebound damping, are they externally adjustable, what do they look like?

Old 04-10-2011 | 08:45 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

I am no expert but I do know that the Race Tech emulators are in there. Will let Howard chime in after I get done running the new suspension through its paces. It rides like a STS Caddy here in Fla, but the roads here are glass smooth and very straight. the 24th will be the start of the trial.

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
More info about the custom made "innards" please. Who made em, what do they adjust; preload, compression/rebound damping, are they externally adjustable, what do they look like?

Old 04-10-2011 | 10:19 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster
I am no expert but I do know that the Race Tech emulators are in there. Will let Howard chime in after I get done running the new suspension through its paces. It rides like a STS Caddy here in Fla, but the roads here are glass smooth and very straight. the 24th will be the start of the trial.
Ok, so you got some Gold Valves. You had me going there for a minute, I thought maybe you had some new gee wiz, engineering savy system.

Old 04-11-2011 | 04:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Ok, so you got some Gold Valves. You had me going there for a minute, I thought maybe you had some new gee wiz, engineering savy system.
Stay excited! Howard does have Ohlins inserts for some Dyna forks already. He is also working on the Glide forks! Check his website: Motorcycle Metal.

Quick Reply: Ohlin Fan Club?