Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlin Fan Club?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011 | 06:10 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm just sittin back takin in all the info. Olins seems like the ones I'll go with. You only want to spend that kind of $$$$ one time!!!

Old 03-30-2011 | 08:53 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Those #6s are works of art.

Old 03-30-2011 | 09:23 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by '05Train
Those #6s are works of art.
They cost more than the Mona Lisa!!!!!!!!

Old 03-30-2011 | 09:27 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master

You can include me in this fan club. On my 03 Road King started with HD lower air shocks ( big mistake) and then moved up to Works shocks which was a big improvement over stock. Even though that was much better I was not satisfied so took the plunge and contacted Howard and ordered the 3-3's. These are so much better that when I traded the Road King in for the RGU the shocks was the first parts I took off the RK.
I contacted Howard and he set me up with stronger springs for the Ultra and followed up two months later to check on how they were working for me.
Great shocks and even greater customer service.
As for the front forks Howard is working on a setup that will use Ohlins cartridges. Until that is available I went with Race Tech gold valves and springs. With this setup it's like a totally diferent bike the ride is so much smoother with knife edge handling.

Old 03-30-2011 | 09:29 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by qtrracer
They cost more than the Mona Lisa!!!!!!!!
Yeah, but I bet they give that same smile she's got.

Old 03-30-2011 | 09:35 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

For what it's worth, i'm running the Harley Premium lows on my Street Glide after trying the Progressive 940s and a pair of $800 custom built Race Tech shocks. The Premium Lows come stock on the new CVO bikes. All i can say is i'm very impressed with these shocks They deliver just as advertised....keeping the wheel firmly planted and a nice sporty feel....all while soaking up the harsh bumps to keep kidneys happy. They may not be up to the same standard as Ohlin but then they are much cheaper.

Old 03-30-2011 | 10:48 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member

I've had a set of Ohlins from Howard for a couple of years now.
I've had the stockers, Progressive 440s and Works Steel Trackers. Ohlins the best by far.
Just recently I asked Howard his opinion about a particular 'aftermarket' replacement top Triple tree setup with more fork tube overlap. (hence, longer tubes) He suggested I hang in for a bit 'til he finished up with their own top TT, longer tubes, and OHLIN drop in cartridges for my RK. I'm sure it's not gonna be inexpensive, but this is what I'll be going with. The stock Harley steering head is a glaring weakness with all the work I've done so far.
Ask Howard about that setup next time. Howard is 1st Class, IMO.

CN

Old 03-30-2011 | 10:53 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
For what it's worth, i'm running the Harley Premium lows on my Street Glide after trying the Progressive 940s and a pair of $800 custom built Race Tech shocks. The Premium Lows come stock on the new CVO bikes. All i can say is i'm very impressed with these shocks They deliver just as advertised....keeping the wheel firmly planted and a nice sporty feel....all while soaking up the harsh bumps to keep kidneys happy. They may not be up to the same standard as Ohlin but then they are much cheaper.
Are the new Premium Lows 13" ? which would be similar to the 2009 & 2010 Ultra's ... - which were so much better than the 2009 CVO 12" RG SE & SG SE CVO' stock low (?) junk

either way glad MoCo is moving on up !

what kind of $ did they list for ?

Old 03-30-2011 | 11:48 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master

I went the other route and ordered Ricor's tonight, front and rear.
http://store.ricorshocks.com/default.asp

Old 03-31-2011 | 08:53 PM
In10SS
Intermediate

I have about 8k miles on my Ohlins from Howard and really like them. I had traxxion dynamics setup my front forks. They set up my last busa and the Ultra needed it more than any bike I've ever had, so I sent my forks to them for the ak-20 cartidges. I can't wait to see what Howard is working on to fix the geometry problem with the triple tree. The Ohlins were easy to install and Howard was very willing to assist. He had selected the perfect spring and all I did was adjust the preload until my sag was right. I ride a lot 2 up and my wife was very happy with the ride. I don't really spend anytime adjusting back and forth for 2up vs. solo except when we head for the mountains. The only downside was they were so good I started pushing the bike a little more and realized how bad the front forks were. The bike handles so much better now I sometimes forget it weighs over 900 lbs. On my last trip to the mountains, I actually wore away some of the virgin rubber on the edges of my tires, and found it easy to maintain a moderately fast pace. I had several guys on sport bikes ask me what I did to the engine to make the barge so fast. I laughed because its just a stage 1! The only handling ill left at speed seems to be a minor wobble in the rear in high speed sweepers. It may be the first time I ever wore out the edges of the front tire before the center on a street bike, though.

Quick Reply: Ohlin Fan Club?