Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice from the older forum members (glasses)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:02 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I used these for a few riding seasons, before I got mono-vision contacts. They worked great, allowed me to focus in on speedometer and GPS. I ordered the sunglasses and the clear for night riding.

Radians Pro Rx Magnifyer Glasses
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/radian...nifyer-glasses

Last edited by RoadHog659; 03-28-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Cme2c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all you really need is some near correction, you can get "press-on" bifocals, which are flexible vinyl bifocals that will adhere by static cling to the backside of your regular riding glasses. They are available at your local optometrist's office or optical shop and are probably available online. You need to know what strength you would need for the distance you are viewing your map/GPS from. They are available for around $15 - $30. Please make sure your riding glasses have polycarbonate lenses for proper eye protection and be aware that some Chinese made lenses do not meet ANSI impact resistance standards. Glasses are like most everything else, you get what you pay for.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:16 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 PM
eathomps
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depending on how good your distance vision is, and how bad the close up, you may not need bifocals. I was/am in the same boat as you; can't see anything up close but distance vision is good. For several years I've used single vision contacts and can see the gauges, etc OK and also see distance clearly (I'm currently at +2.00 optics). Doing that you'll need to either wear goggle or very good sunglasses for wind control (I wear PanOptx).

I've reached the point where dry eyes are a problem, even when not riding, so I have a pair of prescrition sunglasses on order. These will be bifocal. There are a lot of options, but if dry eyes are not an issue I really prefer contacts because you don't have issues with blurring peripheral vision.

And if you do try contacts, your eye doctor should work with you to get a comfortable set. They will usually start with less expensive lenses; I used one type for over a year and had to remove and rewet repeatedly during the day. I mentioned it to my eye doc and she said that should not be necessary. Spent about 3 weeks trying different samples and found one that worked well for me. Went from remove, rewet and put back in to saline drops a few times a day. And I will still wear them most of the time; the bifocal sunglasses I am getting are primarily for long day rides where drying will be a problem.

I hope you find a solution that works well for you. Aging is the pits, but unless you're sure you're right with the Lord it is the best option.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

I've been wearing Bifocals since 1997 & riding with no problems. I have a pair of RX sun glasses also. Good luck. Check out Oakley the have some great frames. some you can change the lens in. You can go to sun glasses to clear. BUT another great thing is whne your RX cahnges you don't need to but new frames.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 AM
KenpoCowboy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 20/15 vision until the late 40s, when I noticed I couldn't read the street signs - but hell, this is California - land of **** poor signage

I now wear trasnsition (auto darkening) progressive (bifocals) lenses - and just decided that the bike/truck prescription shades also needed to move to bifocals so I could read the GPS.

My eye dr says to get the glasses from them (health care covered), but to get sunglasses/etc from Sam's Club/etc - due to lowered costs.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:26 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I have trouble with signs,,,

Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sanlyn
I'm fine up close, but the distance gets me. The doctor says I don't need bifocals, but with single vision lenses, I have to look over my glasses to see the GPS ... works fine in a car, but not on the bike.
My eyesight is just fine, thank you very much. BTW Sanlyn, your daughters pictured in your avatar are just stunning!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bifocal riding glasses

I just picked up my new bifocal transition glasses, no line bifocal and love them. got them from the local wally world for 224.00 with 3 year replacement guarentee. I only got the dark lenses as I have clear bifocals for night riding. the work great for reading on the go instruments, GPS, radio and maps. Takes some getting used to and you have to be careful they set them up correclty for you. Took the three tries for me to be happy with what they were giving me.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:30 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts
Thumbs up Maui Jim

I wear Maui Jim sunglasses almost exclusively and they have the Maui Jim reader sunglasses available in 1.50 2.00 and 2.50 magnification bifocal, 2 frame styles and 3 lens colors. I wear sunglasses now 100% of the time when outdoors and recommend MJ without reservations. Oh and the MJ readers are less than 200 dollars, but in my opinion MJ lenses are without equal.

Last edited by qtrracer; 03-29-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Advice from the older forum members (glasses)