Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grip saga continues on my flhtk

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:29 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default grip saga continues on my flhtk

spent sunday changing the bars on my 2010 limited to WO575's. per other advice, went witht he SE sensor also. broke a grip on the left side, thats another post. went to put on throttle side tonight and its too tight around the bar. looks like its hanging on the plastic end of the sensor a little on the side that butts op againsit the bar, not the grooves that the grip slides onto. anyone else run into this? i'm thinking the fix would be to sand down the plastic lip so it is flush with the bars. fear is would i get any dust into the sensor that would ruin it? do not want to snake wires through agsin - would rather put a bullet in my head. help.

tin

Old 03-28-2011, 07:56 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Do you have a picture of what you are talking about?

Are you sure the TBW was installed in the bars correctly?

From what I remember that grip is kind of loose until it connects up with the TBW sensor. Are you sure the grip is in the switch housing right? To far up or down and it will bind a bit on the side of the switch housing.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior

cant ake a pic - camera is busted. it is put together correctly. grip is getting slightly hung up on the throttle sensor. it is evr so slightly not flush with the bar. i need to sand it down and it will work. i am just very nervous about getting stuff in the electronics. i can try to tape it with masking tape.

your a good sport to keep trying to help me. will show pics when its done. been a labor of love.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:50 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior

saga just wont go away. so tonight i taped off so dust would not get on the sensor. i successfully ground down the lip so it is flush and the grip goes on perfectly.....

the i noticed that i also ground down half the teeth on the top half of the sensor. dumbass! intuitively i feel that there are plenty of teeth on the bottom of the sensor and half of the top row to keep the integrity of the twist on the grip, but now i need reinforcement thatit wont strip over time. i would hate to replace it...but its all apart, so i could do it. would be such a headache and we all hate doing things twice. what do you think.

tin

Old 03-29-2011, 08:26 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Not sure what an SE TBW sensor is but I'm guessing it's the one with no green connector like in the stock bars?

Did you run the switch wires in the bars as well?

If you did, and the throttle works, I'd put it back together and ride it and change it out next winter.

If you didn't, I'd put the stock sensor back in. Should only take about 10 minutes.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior

yes it is, no connector. yes - switch wires too. throttle works. good idea - winter project haha

thx canuck