Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S Cams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Silverearl
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S&S Cams?

I have a 06 Ultra and I need to replace my tensioners. I want to change to S&S 510's but I am also looking for a price below $600 if possible. Any one have an suggestions that would be a help in locating a cheaper. I am doing the work myself. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 AM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverearl
I have a 06 Ultra and I need to replace my tensioners. I want to change to S&S 510's but I am also looking for a price below $600 if possible. Any one have an suggestions that would be a help in locating a cheaper. I am doing the work myself. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Are you looking @ $600 total on parts? That is hard to do! Here is the Gear drive kit for $600 if you want to go with gears.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-S-5...item3365b6d5b4

It has the bearings, gasket, cams, gears, etc. Just need the valve springs and pushrods.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

MrHog - I went with that set up and used the stock push rods and valve springs.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:43 AM
trailey97
Tourer

wish i could go that route but not just yet.... everyone i talk to says that is the setup to go with... but yeah good luck finding em for under 600...make sure and let us know what you think of the setup once youre done

Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 AM
MrHog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mainshaft
MrHog - I went with that set up and used the stock push rods and valve springs.
If you can get away with the stock springs and pushrods, then that link I added should get him what he needs for the $. I almost went with this gear 2 weekends ago, but went with the Andrews 21 cam. A lot of guys run the 510 and I hear good things about it.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Silverearl
Road Captain

I am trying to keep the work down as much as possible. SO I am going with the adjustable rods. I can get both for about $780. @ Kustom Emporium and as far as I can tell that is all I need but I am not going to do the pump. I was hoping to find someplace a little less. Thanks for the help. I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:17 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master

I had the S&S 510G set up on my 2000 FXST and loved it! So much so, that I'm now running th S&S 510G kit on my 09 FLHX.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Silverearl
Road Captain

I figured that it has given me 60+K miles and I needed to do more then just put tires on her. But all be told the cam shoes are scaring the hell out of me. I have been lucky so far and I am not wanting to press my luck.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Dallas 13
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverearl
I figured that it has given me 60+K miles and I needed to do more then just put tires on her. But all be told the cam shoes are scaring the hell out of me. I have been lucky so far and I am not wanting to press my luck.
Yeah, I pulled my chain setup at 35K and switched to S&S gear drive cams. My tensioners had just stared to pit, not enough to cause great problems, but enough to be thankful I changed when I did. I did it with the adjustables - would recommend getting pushrod covers for adjustables; you'll have more room to set the adjustments. $600 for the cams isn't a bad price.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:06 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're going to get cams and you really want to feel a difference, you should also...
increase displacement
increase compression
get better flowing heads
dyno tune

otherwise save your money IMO

I say this only because I have a friend who put an andrews 26a in his 88" motor with a stage 1. He was telling me the bike had a noticeable power increase. I was thinking about cams so I said how about we do a couple side by side runs to see if you pull ahead. Well, we did a couple runs starting in first at about 5mph and going as hard as
we could to over 90. We were side by side, dead even the whole way. He has an 04 RK, mine's an 06 and we weigh about the same and shifted at nearly the same time. So I think just adding a cam is not going to give you much without other work, all of which cost money. I'm not badmouthing anything, just relating my experience.

Quick Reply: S&S Cams?