Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S Cams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:16 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carpetride
If you're going to get cams and you really want to feel a difference, you should also...
increase displacement
increase compression
get better flowing heads
dyno tune

otherwise save your money IMO

I say this only because I have a friend who put an andrews 26a in his 88" motor with a stage 1. He was telling me the bike had a noticeable power increase. I was thinking about cams so I said how about we do a couple side by side runs to see if you pull ahead. Well, we did a couple runs starting in first at about 5mph and going as hard as
we could to over 90. We were side by side, dead even the whole way. He has an 04 RK, mine's an 06 and we weigh about the same and shifted at nearly the same time. So I think just adding a cam is not going to give you much without other work, all of which cost money. I'm not badmouthing anything, just relating my experience.
I disagree. After the 510G set up was in my 88 inch (2000 FXST) the difference was highly noticeable. Not to mention more reliable than the chain tensioner mess.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:43 AM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TitoFTW
I disagree. After the 510G set up was in my 88 inch (2000 FXST) the difference was highly noticeable. Not to mention more reliable than the chain tensioner mess.
I agree! Getting rid of the tensioners is an upgrade in its own IMO. Any cam upgrade should give you some kind of torque upgrade, too. Not sure how much difference there is, but the stock '06 heads are better flowing than the '05 and older stock heads. Not sure if that is enough to make a difference in the side by side comparison with '04 cam upgrade and stock '06. If the sock '06 heads make that much of a difference next to a '04 cam upgrade, just think what a cam upgrade would do to a '06? I notice a difference on my '05 with cams. I can't wait to get the head work done later this year.

Last edited by MrHog; 03-28-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Bagged Out
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my S&S 510's.
Great pull from low to high end.
I have the dyno sheet in my profile. It definitely increased torque & HP

Old 03-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Silverearl
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind why I am changing. Not to increase anything but peace of mind. 63K I think I should start to worry. Anything else is a bonus as far as I am concerned. You can not go to gear with stock cams and this is the easiest route. If I wanted more power I would just buy the S&S 103 and be done with it. But I like what I have any the wife says that the 103 is out of our price range...

Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHog
I agree! Getting rid of the tensioners is an upgrade in its own IMO. Any cam upgrade should give you some kind of torque upgrade, too. Not sure how much difference there is, but the stock '06 heads are better flowing than the '05 and older stock heads. Not sure if that is enough to make a difference in the side by side comaparison with '04 cam upgrade and stock '06. If the sock '06 heads make that much of a difference next to a '04 cam upgrade, just think what a cam upgrade would do to a '06? I notice a difference on my '05 with cams. I can't wait to get the head work done later this year.
I've heard that about the heads and that may have been the difference. I don't know, I need to ask some more questions. I've never ridden his 04 so if he says it's feels stronger than that's good. I was really hoping he would've pulled ahead though. Another friend of mine has an 01 RK with a carb and a thunderheader. My 06 has V&H slipons and a fuelpak. He weighs about 60 lbs more than me and when we raced from a stop, we were pretty even. So I think his bike is making better torque than mine. I've ridden his 01 and it seemed stronger but that could of just been the thunder headers roar.

Last edited by carpetride; 03-28-2011 at 11:05 AM.