Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 electra glide cams/headwork?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:31 PM
05ghost_train
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 electra glide cams/headwork?

well since ive got my bike torn down right now i figured i might as well put some different cams in. Its just an 88" slip on exhaust,intake,programmer, and my pal from work is gonna port the heads for me. What cams would be a good fit and if anyone knows a bit about the heads and what i could do to make some good power that would be helpfull. The guy says he will only do some minor port work on the heads unless i can get him some specs and more info

Old 03-28-2011, 08:10 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Since it's an 05, they are prone to have faulty valve seals leading to oil consumption so make sure the valve seals get changed when he ports them. Is this someone that knows what he's doing with porting heads? If you have it that far, why not bump it up to a 95" Also are you swapping out to the SE Hydraulic setup or what are you doing there?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:36 AM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dawg will steer you in the right direction. Just have to decide what you want and how much $. I just put Andrew's 21 cams in two weekends ago. Quite a few guys are going with a Feuling kit. Cam plate, high flow oil pump and the newer style hydraulic cams from Harley, Andrew's, Wood's, etc. I went with a geared cam and switched out the pushrods, lifters, and added a baisley spring to the oil pump for better flow. Run out on the fly was good and the cam plate and oil pump had minimal wear so I reused them. If I had deeper pockets, I would have upgraded the plate and pump. Head work is next.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 AM
05ghost_train
6th Gear

Well when I say torn down i mean "cosmetically" its just the frame, engine, and tires right now while im getting things painted i figure id do this. The guy hasnt done a lot with harley heads but hes constantly doin headwork for snowmobiles cars tractors etc. Hes a pretty good friend so its gonna be cheap and thats kindof my thing i dont really wanna wrap up more than a grand into the heads cams and or pushrods valves whatever it is ill need. Im out of my league right now im a body man not a mechanic so take it easy on me if im terribly mistakin

Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I don't know how many miles your bike has on it but if you're on a tight budget, you could replace the cam chain tensioner shoes, bore to 95" and install an Andrews 21 or similar bagger cam.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Installed a big bore and gear cams a month ago...huge difference, it isn't the same bike. Heads were worked as well...by folks who knew what they were doin'.
Your bud may be the greatest (insert your description here) mechanic the planet has ever known. There's more than just hoggin' out the heads. Mine were "tuned" for max efficeincy for my cam selection, and bench flowed. Your dude may be all that... dunno, just be careful cuz ya can't "undo" too large a port.

Just sayin'

Best of luck with whatever ya decide!!

Beav

Old 03-28-2011, 08:21 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Nothing against your friend, but I wouldn't let him port my heads. If you have $1k to spend you can get your heads ported at Bigboyz for $299. All parts should compliment each other though.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:25 PM
harleygile
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used SE 204 cams in my 06 with a 95" heads port and polished the valves cut to 1.90 hydraulic tensioner kit. The cams have a great sound and build great numbers in a bagger.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 AM
akroguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Andrews 21 grind for me and LOVE it, hydraulic cam plate upgrade, and DEFINITELY replace the valve seals with the blue silicone ones from Big Boyz! My oil consumption dropped to almost nothing.

Going up to 95" is worth it if you can swing the cash. I didn't want to tear the bike down a second time, so, I found a SE 95" cylinder kit on Ebay for cheap. It was the silver colored fin model so I just painted them with black BBQ grill paint, cleaned off the fin edges and mounted them. Looks great and all done over a couple of weekends while working slowly and carefully. I'd only have an experienced Harley head machinist do any cutting on my heads.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:25 PM
05ghost_train
6th Gear

Well thanks for the input fella's im gonna set back have a few beers over the weekend and access the situation haha I might could wait till next winter and do the whole works well see

Quick Reply: 05 electra glide cams/headwork?