Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC switch plug??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ACC switch plug??

Have an 08 Ultra SE3. Where is the plug for the dash ACC switch. Found a blank plug under the seat when hooked up the Harley power port in my tourpack, but the dash switch does not control it. The plug I used under the seat is on the 15 amp "P&A" fuse. The 15 amp ACC fuse is beside it. Is there another plug somewhere? The service manual is not much help.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

You probably have the right plug already if it has four wires in it: black (ground), orange/red (run), red/yellow (brake), and orange(switched). I'm not familiar with the power port you installed, but it probably uses the black (ground) wire and the orange (run) wires; the orange/red one is energized when the ignition is "on" like the running lights. The orange wire is a switched circuit controlled by the ACC switch and is energized when the ignition switch is "on" or in the "acc" position.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 03-27-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Corrected wrong information re wiring color and function
Old 03-27-2011, 02:17 PM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
You probably have the right plug already if it has four wires in it: black (ground), blue (run), red/yellow (brake), and orange/red (switched). I'm not familiar with the power port you installed, but it probably uses the black (ground) wire and the blue (run) wires; the blue one is energized when the ignition is "on" like the running lights. The orange/red wire is a switched circuit controlled by the ACC switch and is energized when the ignition switch is "on" or in the "acc" position.

Carl
What he said. The connector you are using doesn't use the switched wire from the pigtail....

Old 03-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

If you are using the accessory connector for the power port, you can add a wire for the switched circuit (with the correct terminal added to the wire prior to inserting it into the connector) or buy the pigtail HD sells on the website and P&A catalog.

Carl

Old 03-27-2011, 02:45 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

i used crimp on duetch connectors about 12 cents apiece verses the harley harness.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:49 PM
SteveO
Road Master

My question is...the ACC switch does nothing, the ignition switch turns the power on and off to the Harley power port I installed in the Tour Pack. So the Harley power port plug may be designed to go on and off with the ignition through this connection. If I install the Harley "pig tail" the ACC switch on the dash should control another installed accessory on/off from the dash?

Also, why a 15 amp ACC fuse and a 15 amp P&A fuse in the fuse block? I assume the Harley pigtail will allow the use of both 15 amp circuits separately?

Last edited by SteveO; 03-27-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by SteveO
My question is...the ACC switch does nothing, the ignition switch turns the power on and off to the Harley power port I installed in the Tour Pack. So the Harley power port plug may be designed to go on and off with the ignition through this connection. If I install the Harley "pig tail" the ACC switch on the dash should control another installed accessory on/off from the dash? Yes.

Also, why a 15 amp ACC fuse and a 15 amp P&A fuse in the fuse block? I assume the Harley pigtail will allow the use of both 15 amp circuits separately? The "accessories" fuse doesn't include the circuits in the accessory connector; ironic isn't it?

What is it that you plan to install and control via the ACC switch?

Carl

Old 03-27-2011, 09:50 PM
SteveO
Road Master

Nothing at the moment, would like to use the fused ACC switch when I install another accessory, fog lights, driving lights, 50MM pop up cannon.............. but I will just use the hot side of the switch with an inline fuse to power.....whatever.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 AM
right hook
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 08 FLHRC the terminals for the ACC. Switch are behind the forks, tucked up under the handlebars on the brake side. There's an orange or red cap on one terminal and believe it or not some electrical tape on the other one.