Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing SE compensator kit w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 01:53 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,474 Likes on 2,213 Posts

just changed mine yesterday....did hafta grind alittle....coulda been about a 3 hr job cept i didnt READ the instructions....only looked at the pictures....put comp sprocket on backwards......dumbass.....has "this side out" stamped right on it.....lol....thanks for the write up....what a difference in startin and going into gear....netural kicks right in as well.....

Old 08-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Referencing my prior post about a howling noise here is a short vid of my 08 SG idling and revving slightly. I really don't mind the sound, in fact I don't notice it after a while until someone comments on it.

SG vid with SE compensator howling / whirling sound

Peekon, does yours sound like this? Anyone else? I know V2Evo96 commented that his made no noise. Anyone else?

Thanks guys

Last edited by Potato_Potato; 08-23-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:13 PM
bowa18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
Referencing my prior post about a howling noise here is a short vid of my 08 SG idling and revving slightly. I really don't mind the sound, in fact I don't notice it after a while until someone comments on it.

Peekon, does yours sound like this? Anyone else? I know V2Evo96 commented that his made no noise. Anyone else?

Thanks guys
I listened to your video/audio and thought to myself that I never heard that noise coming from my bike.... so when I started it up this morning I leaned over for a listen and it makes the same noise that yours does. I never noticed it before (thanks for pointing it out ). 99.9% of the time I have my tunes going so I'm thinking that's why I never noticed it before. So to answer your question, you're not alone....I seriously doubt there's anything to worry about. I've put 5,000 miles on my SE comp and it's working like a champ. I don't get too caught up with all the noises coming from the motor (there's plenty if you really stop and listen). Again, if I hadn't read your post and made a point to listen for the noise I would have said that mine didn't make any noise to speak of. Ride safe and don't sweat it.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:43 AM
karbar99
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed

Old 08-26-2011, 04:33 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys
Potato, after listening to your audio clip I started my 09 Ultra and def do not hear any noise like that; it's very quiet actually.

It reminds me of a friends late model Evo with a cam and cam gear change. The cam gear was too 'tight' (there wasn't enough lash between the drive and cam gear), and it 'whined' just like your sound.
Since the SE comp has only chain running over the comp sprocket I am at a total loss as to what it could be.

Could the drive chain be too tight. When you re-installed the auto tensioner, did you take up any additional slack by force with a pry bar?

When you removed the drive chain did you re-install it to run in the same direction it was originally?

Sorry but I have no idea at all other than mentioned above. Very strange....

Old 08-26-2011, 05:18 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

@ V2Evo96
I had a dealer do it when my stator went out on a trip so I don't know anything about the install.

@ Bowa18
It may be that some are getting the sound but become accustomed to it and don't notice it.

Thanks guys

Old 08-26-2011, 07:26 AM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,474 Likes on 2,213 Posts

Thanks guys

after running mine for a couple days and watching your vid....mine makes the same noise....dont think its anything to worry about......i hope....lol..

Old 08-26-2011, 03:10 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@ V2Evo96
I had a dealer do it when my stator went out on a trip so I don't know anything about the install.

@ Bowa18
It may be that some are getting the sound but become accustomed to it and don't notice it.

Thanks guys

After considering your problem further I think there may be a misalignment of the drive chain whereby it may be riding the comp sprocket at an angle and creating the noise.

What if the dealer tech put the new comp sprocket on with "this side out" facing inwards. It would be easy for a busy tech in Sturgis to overlook "this side out" if he was hassled and in a hurry to get to the next job...

I think I would pull the outer primary and check the new comp sprocket for the correct orientation, and have a look around in there to check the work, with the focus on the alignment of the primary chain in relation to the comp and clutch sprockets....

But then I could be paranoid, as I never trust anyone when I've had work done by others that I couldn't do myself.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

It would be easy for a busy tech in Sturgis to overlook

You got that right. I may pull the primary cover off and take a look.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:47 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear it pretty clear in the video. Never hear that before. how much fluid do you have in the primary? sounds like air turbulence

Quick Reply: Installing SE compensator kit w/pics