Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing SE compensator kit w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:30 AM
bowa18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave, I'm not policing the thread, just responding to you pointing out that I was wrong. I looked thru my manual again and still don't see where it says anything about applying loctite to the outer primary bolts (what page did you see that on?). I looked in sect. 5.3 outer primary chaincase cover installation and don't see mention of loctite. If I'm wrong I stand corrected but please point out the page you see it on. I guess my response to you stems from our exchange a while back where you were stating your opinion that grinding wasn't a good idea so I guess I got defensive when you went out of your way to quote me and correct my statement (I'm not sure who's correct on this one until I see it in the manual for myself). Just a matter of two know it alls having an internet discussion.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:28 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bowa18
Dave, I'm not policing the thread, just responding to you pointing out that I was wrong. I looked thru my manual again and still don't see where it says anything about applying loctite to the outer primary bolts (what page did you see that on?). I looked in sect. 5.3 outer primary chaincase cover installation and don't see mention of loctite. If I'm wrong I stand corrected but please point out the page you see it on. I guess my response to you stems from our exchange a while back where you were stating your opinion that grinding wasn't a good idea so I guess I got defensive when you went out of your way to quote me and correct my statement (I'm not sure who's correct on this one until I see it in the manual for myself). Just a matter of two know it alls having an internet discussion.
I don't see a need for loctite on them and when I removed mine, I don't recall seeing any residue on them from loctite from the factory. Use the coorect sequence and torque values and that should be it...I'll check my SM today and see if it states loctite on reassembly...

Old 08-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Tytanium
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bowa,

I used your post to supplement the SE compensator instructions and service manual. Your detailed step-by-step instructions/photos made the job easy and filled in the gaps. Harley should follow your lead (and the others on this forum making similar posts) and make future service manuals like your post.

Thanks a bunch. I can now find neutral. Clutch upgrade is next to better handle a 107.

T

Old 08-21-2011, 03:00 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bowa18
Dave, I'm not policing the thread, just responding to you pointing out that I was wrong.
ok - I appreciate the good natured discussion and intent to keep it that way.

Just to be clear, one more time for good measure. I don't care whether someone chooses to do this job by grinding metal off the inside of the primary chaincase or by removing it. I've said as much in the past and it was not my intent to critique the method you've described beyond pionting out that I don't really see the labor savings (especially on 2009 and 10 where the exhaust pipes are not in the way).

My personal preference is to do it the way the dealer would* rather than grind - but that's just my preference. Were someone to use the non-grind method there's more to re-Loctite than using the grind method. Regardless Loctite is required (see below)

I do think it's wise for everyone to follow the manual when it comes to applying Loctite to certain fasteners.

(*Harley dealers have little choice in the matter as they'd be setting themselves up for claims, fair or not, that leaks were caused by such an approach.)

The 2010 Manual states on page 5-3, Installation

1. See Figure 5-2. Install new cover gasket (1)
2. See Figure 5-1. Apply a drop of Loctite Threadlocker 243 (blue) (Part no. 9964297). Install nine short (1) and four (2) primary cover fasteners in positions shown. Snug fasteners."
3. See Figure 5-3. Tighten primary cover fasteners to 108-120 in-lbs (12.2-13.6Nm) in the sequence shown.

Update: I just checked a 2009 Service Manual. It does not call for Loctite (so we can both be right!).

Apparently Harley has updated the procedure to include Loctite in the 2010 Service Manual. Rather than debating the point further I would suggest that anyone who's contemplating the job add the Loctite step. I'm dead certain Harley did this for a good reason. I've heard of these bolts coming loose.

Last edited by davessworks; 08-21-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:19 PM
bowa18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
I don't see a need for loctite on them and when I removed mine, I don't recall seeing any residue on them from loctite from the factory. Use the coorect sequence and torque values and that should be it...I'll check my SM today and see if it states loctite on reassembly...
I checked my bolts as well and there wasn't any residue on any of them. I personally was planning on using loctite on them (even though it wasn't mentioned in my '09 SM) but when I couldn't find any residue on them from the factory I didn't see the need. I agree with you, correct torque sequence and values and they will be fine.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 PM
ggrif
Tourer

want to remember this thread. Great job!

Old 08-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was prepared to do the comp upgrade myself after reading this thread and seeing bowa18’s excellent pictures but my stator went out in Sturgis so I opted to have the dealer in Rapid City do it for no additional labor charge while they had the primary apart. I was disappointed that I could not see the condition of the old one and take picts. (Hell, I was disappointed to have someone else working of my bike.)

Although I couldn’t find it, I seem to remember that a characteristic of the SE comp is that it makes a sort of howling noise. Right? Mine does but I was prepared for it so I did not think too much of it. In fact I got used to it and really don’t notice it — until people say ‘what is that noise?’

So just to confirm - do they make a howling noise that you can hear in first and second?

BTW it feels like a new bike - big improvement in all respects.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:04 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
<<<snip>>>> Although I couldn’t find it, I seem to remember that a characteristic of the SE comp is that it makes a sort of howling noise. Right? Mine does but I was prepared for it so I did not think too much of it. In fact I got used to it and really don’t notice it — until people say ‘what is that noise?’

So just to confirm - do they make a howling noise that you can hear in first and second?

BTW it feels like a new bike - big improvement in all respects.
I installed mine following bowa18's writeup--absolutely no howling noise whatsoever in mine, and I have never heard of this occuring.
As you stated, big improvements in shift quality and can now find neutral easily from 2nd-- always had to go to first before neutral before the install.
I did the upgraded SE clutch spring at the same time. Suggest that both be changed at the same time.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzes - mine diffidently makes a noise.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Peekon
Tourer

I installed one when i did my 106" build and it deffinately makes a whirling, howling, or rotational kind of noise. it didn't start up until a couple hundred miles into the break in. I wasn't sure if it was the comp or not cause i put in a bandit clutch at the time also. It seems to have gotten less noticeable (maybe i just got used to it) and i have opened the primaryu several ties to inspect it and found nothing wrong. So far i took it to dyatona and back and sturgis and back and beat the hell out if it both ways (knock on wood ) no problems. Got 7100 miles so far.

Quick Reply: Installing SE compensator kit w/pics