Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing SE compensator kit w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:02 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I called my local stealer and they wanted $600 out the door for the replacement and needed my bike for two days because they remove the inner primary. Thats nuttier than squirrel turds. I'm not paying that.

I have a J&S jack, torque wrenches and a shred of common sense so I think I'll pocket the $300 and do it myself. I have a selection of grinders too so I think I should be OK.

My 2008 sounds like there are bolts in the primary when I disengage the cluth in 1st gear. Makes low speed stuff difficult sometimes because it sounds like ****. Its still a shame HD won't fix this well known problem.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:02 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master

anyone know the part number for the primary gasket? might as well change that while its apart.

Last edited by cruzmisl; 07-24-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Reaper22
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiflyer50
I installed the SE Compensator last night. I removed the whole inner case and the clutch assembly. It's not that big of a deal. An extra 15 minutes. I have heard from other mechanics that you should not shave the primary case to get the old rotor out. That burm is in the case for a reason. They tell me that it is there to pool the oil so the chain will pick it up better. Not sure I agree with that but would probably add a few more onces of oil to the primary. I also had a HD Rep from the main office tell me that indeed the older Compensators 2007-2010, were week. The SE compensator is surely the way to go.
Not sure if I buy the burm thoughology because it would work both ways, meening the oil would also stay in the cover as well, But saying that I put in 46 oz's of oil cuz indy only put 32 oz's,, it is filled above the black clutch spring and all noise gone, no more chatter between 60 and 70mph and can hardly hear the primary chain run now, so go figure, The spokes on the comp sprocket even looked gaulded like lack of lube but indy said was normal and I just wasen't buying that either..

Old 07-24-2011, 06:24 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I finally installed my SE compensator today. I used the pics in the OP as a guide and reference; they were a real help! Super easy job and everything went well. The hardest thing for me was the footboards! PITA with an oil cooler....

Bike runs quieter. Starter knock is gone, of course. I can feel the power pulses more distinctly (under part throttle roll-on at 2500 rpm in 5th, specifically). This makes perfect sense to me...

Some thoughts:

1) Grinding the inner case hurts NOTHING; try not to overthink this. Removing material here will not change any function of lubrication.

2) I didn't add the "oil channels" some have talked about; I don't think this will be an issue with Formula +.

3) I am glad I finally installed the comp. I was always going to do it at the same time as my 49T clutch basket, but haven't been able to justify the funds for the 49T yet, so I went ahead with it.

Thanks again to the OP for the nice writeup and pics!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Bob-n-Ohio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very informative and useful to the guys that will be doing this.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:27 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bowa18
Nope, the 2011's come with the SE comps already installed! Us lucky bastards with '07-'10's get to buy them ourselves! Although some owners have gotten them replaced under warranty, others are told that it's "normal" and get to pay for the swap. Unfortunately mine was "normal" so I got to buy my own.
Yeah, I got the it's normal run around at 3 dealerships so I did my own as well. Been in there for a month now and 1200 miles. No more clunking and bolts bouncing around sounds and bike is much easier to ride at slow parking lot speeds.

Thanks again for starting this thread bowa18!

Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Thanks to bowa18!
I did mine 2 days ago using the grind method-- no probs and ez job. Very little material needs to come off the hump.
After wrapping everything up I used a vacum cleaner to suck up a lot of grinding flakes while I was grinding. Only had to do a small wipe out and double check (looked closely).

To get the OEM rotor off the stator I wrapped a nylon stretch sock around the flange and pulled on it. Guess a pair of the good lady's old pantyhose would have worked as well or better...

To act as a locking tool I used a short piece of 1"x1" wooden scrap. Don't know how long as the piece I picked up was a perfect fit.
All good.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:50 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master

Originally Posted by V2Evo96
Thanks to bowa18!
I did mine 2 days ago using the grind method-- no probs and ez job. Very little material needs to come off the hump.
I'm in the midst of my install and wondering how much material I need to grind off. 1/16"??

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:38 PM
bowa18
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
I'm in the midst of my install and wondering how much material I need to grind off. 1/16"??

Thanks!
About that, it won't be much. You'll know if it's enough when you pull the stock rotor. The SE rotor is a tad bigger so it will need just a bit more material removed to get it on. The case is aluminum so it doesn't take much effort to smooth it down....1/16" or slightly more. Good luck, Bowa

Old 07-30-2011, 05:34 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Main thing is to follow the bump with your grinder from about 5.45 - 6 o'clock to about 9.30. You only need to roughly get within (about 1/4") from of the edge of the primary (gasket face).

Just grind a bit off, try to keep it even and stop for a test pull on the rotor a couple of times.
When you pull the rotor and if it hangs up you can see the high spots where a touch up grind is required.
It took me a couple of test pulls on the rotor before I cleared the high spots and it came free.

Stuff some socks around the OD of the rotor to seal off the stator and also a piece of rag needs to be stuffed in to each of the 2 small holes in the rotor face. Then stuff a towel or large rag over the chain and clutch basket and grind away!

Quick Reply: Installing SE compensator kit w/pics