Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011 | 02:35 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer

Originally Posted by dnitram
That's the direction I'm taking, also. N. Cal will likely mandate motorcycle emission testing before Georgia, but you never know where they're looking for increasing tax revenues. The $100 back after shipping is tempting, but not as tempting as keeping the head pipe "just In Case." Besides, I heard the term Garage Art, so I guess I'll call it that when I hand them up... can always list them here or post them on Ebay.

Can't wait to get rid of the heat so my wife will be a little happier. By the way, did you make any other changes prior to or after changing to the American Custom? Aside from the heat reduction, any notable changes? Seat of the pants differences? Just curious (and anxious for them to come in this Friday and put 'em on)!

My changes are the SE air cleaner kit, download and cat-less pipe.
My stock mufflers are louder, just right I think. I'm getting a little tried of loud pipes after many miles of noise. We are our worst enemy in this noise deal.
It seems to have better response, felt free when coasting. My mileage did go up a little, however maybe just getting broke in further too!
I heat wrapped my entire header pipe before installing, that really helped a lot too!
I noticed my rear cyl doesn't turn off as much.
I've actually thought about removing the left muffler and blocking the crossover, which only gets about 25-30% of the exhaust. This would make a nice 2 into 1 set-up, however dual pipes look good.
Good luck with your convert.
In your box will be some nice directions from a mag article. Tells everything, every tool and all.

Old 08-04-2011 | 07:56 AM
dnitram
Road Master

Originally Posted by Holster Maker
My changes are the SE air cleaner kit, download and cat-less pipe.
My stock mufflers are louder, just right I think. I'm getting a little tried of loud pipes after many miles of noise. We are our worst enemy in this noise deal.
It seems to have better response, felt free when coasting. My mileage did go up a little, however maybe just getting broke in further too!
I heat wrapped my entire header pipe before installing, that really helped a lot too!
I noticed my rear cyl doesn't turn off as much.
I've actually thought about removing the left muffler and blocking the crossover, which only gets about 25-30% of the exhaust. This would make a nice 2 into 1 set-up, however dual pipes look good.
Good luck with your convert.
In your box will be some nice directions from a mag article. Tells everything, every tool and all.
Thanks for your observations! I've noticed the rear cylinder turns off a lot more at stops than my 2009 SG ever did, but sort of attributed that to the really hot summer we're having around Atlanta (99+ yesterday). I hadn't thought about wrapping the head pipe, but if I'm ever going to do it, now looks like the right time! Wonder if that turns out to be a "maintenance" item in terms of how long the wrap lasts (how often it has to be replaced)? Adding things to increase maintenance isn't really high on my priority list, UNLESS the benefits outweigh the expense.

Old 08-04-2011 | 11:12 AM
sdfireman
Advanced

Can't wait to get rid of the heat so my wife will be a little happier. By the way, did you make any other changes prior to or after changing to the American Custom? Aside from the heat reduction, any notable changes? Seat of the pants differences? Just curious (and anxious for them to come in this Friday and put 'em on)![/quote]

Lack of heat is way better. A little deeper exhaust tone at idle, increased sound under throttle, can now hear the exhaust over the SE intake. Seems to have a little seat of the pants wow riding solo. Looks like mileage may have increased alittle.

Old 08-04-2011 | 09:05 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member

In the many threads on cat removal there is always a statement that you have to cut it in half, or side door to get it out, that drilling is not possible to get it all and you risk having a bit sucked into the the exhaust port doing whatever.
I drilled mine out completely, leaving no telltale weld marks.
do it the way you want it does make a difference in heat reduction and seat of pants.

My question is has anyone else done this and actually have a residue sucked back into the exhaust port with any gutting method as suggested by some or is this one for the mythbusters?

Old 08-05-2011 | 02:04 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer

Originally Posted by dnitram
Thanks for your observations! I've noticed the rear cylinder turns off a lot more at stops than my 2009 SG ever did, but sort of attributed that to the really hot summer we're having around Atlanta (99+ yesterday). I hadn't thought about wrapping the head pipe, but if I'm ever going to do it, now looks like the right time! Wonder if that turns out to be a "maintenance" item in terms of how long the wrap lasts (how often it has to be replaced)? Adding things to increase maintenance isn't really high on my priority list, UNLESS the benefits outweigh the expense.
Your '09 didn't have a cat in the header.
Not really a big maintenance issue. I have used heat wrap for yrs on race cars without problems. The road race cars create a lot of heat and some people talk about rusting out, due to the wrap holding the condensation with-in, the condensation blows out the tail pipe.
Just guessing on longevity, about 5-10 yrs w/wrap depending on the heat.
The coating works the best, inside and out, besides lasts forever. The ideal situation would be to send the pipe for coating when you get it.
Haps heat coating does a good job, if still in business.
It's okay as is for normal use, I just happened to have couple new rolls hanging in the shop and thought...why not!
However, now my pipe is not even close to be hot w/wrap and no cat.

Old 08-05-2011 | 02:50 AM
stealhunt
Novice

I don't know how you got it all out behind that crossover turn in the head pipe, but if you did, that's great. I could probably work at it some more. The problem is the cat was epoxyed to the inside of the pipe and that is where it is tuff scraping off. Most of my friends think I'm a little **** because I'm worried about this little 5% left inside the pipe. I just think if I'm on a road trip, I will worry constantly whether or not the worst will happen rather than just enjoying the ride.
BTW, I am a machinist/tool maker for more than 30 years.......expecting perfection has become a way of life.

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
In the many threads on cat removal there is always a statement that you have to cut it in half, or side door to get it out, that drilling is not possible to get it all and you risk having a bit sucked into the the exhaust port doing whatever.
do it the way you want it does make a difference in heat reduction and seat of pants.

My question is has anyone else done this and actually have a residue sucked back into the exhaust port with any gutting method as suggested by some or is this one for the mythbusters?

Old 08-05-2011 | 06:14 AM
Tele00
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
I'm sure you may have removed a large amount of it with your method and It probably yielded similar results as those saw with the cut/gut/and weld method...But with all due respect , there is no way to get ALL of this kryptonite out given the available angles of entry ( snake drill attachment or whatever ) without being able to access it directly.

Last edited by Tele00; 08-05-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2011 | 07:41 AM
sdfireman
Advanced

Any little pieces left would be blown out the tail pipe. It's all down wind of the cylinders.

Old 08-05-2011 | 09:36 AM
Tele00
Tourer

Originally Posted by sdfireman
Any little pieces left would be blown out the tail pipe. It's all down wind of the cylinders.

I agree . unless ot somehow got lodged in a small baffle hole ...but it would stay downstream

Last edited by Tele00; 08-05-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2011 | 01:30 PM
dnitram
Road Master

The thread that wouldn't die...