Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011 | 08:14 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

I was in the same boat as you when I ordered a set of wild pigs. I ended up saving money until I could afford a Vance and Hines true dual head pipe, but then I bought Vance and Hines slip on's, couldn't be happier

Old 08-03-2011 | 02:54 AM
stealhunt
Novice

Well, I was obviously leary of it or I wouldn't have asked. If I don't cut it open and get it 100% I will never enjoy a road trip...I will always be wondering if the scenerio you mentioned is gonna happen in the worst of places, and if it did ,I would deserve the punishishment because I knew better but went the easy way. BTW, next time I do one, I will definately cut pipe, It took 2 of us more than 4 hours to get what we got out. So, I'm gonna do it right, after all, this is my road bike we're talking 'bout !
Thanks Skratch, for your input

Originally Posted by skratch
i would be leery of this myself. i know that odds are against it, but with some exhaust reversion, you could end up with catalyst being sucked into your exhaust valve. better to either cut a door out, or cut it in half and clean it out the right way.

no, not necessary. i removed the cat from my 2010 within the first couple of months of owning it. ran it catless, and with a nightstick for over a year. finally got the powervision (along with the rest of the stage 1) after receiving an income tax refund....

actually, there is little performance gain by removing the cat. there is however, a huge gain in heat reduction.

Old 08-03-2011 | 07:27 AM
dnitram
Road Master

Originally Posted by stealhunt
Well, I was obviously leary of it or I wouldn't have asked. If I don't cut it open and get it 100% I will never enjoy a road trip...I will always be wondering if the scenerio you mentioned is gonna happen in the worst of places, and if it did ,I would deserve the punishishment because I knew better but went the easy way. BTW, next time I do one, I will definately cut pipe, It took 2 of us more than 4 hours to get what we got out. So, I'm gonna do it right, after all, this is my road bike we're talking 'bout !
Thanks Skratch, for your input
Since I ordered mine from American Customs on Monday, I had several members PM me letting me know they had their head pipes for sale and I kind of kicked myself for not waiting any longer than I did to see if I could find one to gut other than my own. Well, after hearing what could possible go wrong with leaving some of the cat material in the pipe, horror stories on cutting it in half and it not fitting or somebody having theirs ruined by a welder, I believe that I personally did the right thing by ordering from American Custom!

Old 08-03-2011 | 08:06 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior

Three subjects seem to constantly appear on this forum, cats, bars and oils. Reference the cats, in another post, the poster cut the side out of the cat part of the exhaust which left the length and alignment intact or the exhaust/head pipe. To me that seems a better option than cutting it in two parts and digging/chiseling out the material. But I got the power duals instead and will make garage art of the stock exhaust components. If/when I sell this bike, the new owner can decide what to do with them.

Old 08-03-2011 | 08:23 AM
sdfireman
Advanced

Did the American Customs thing. Quick service, less than an hour of work and on the road again. Just don't switch the O2 sensors around. Very happy with the results. Much deeper exhaust tone. Wife loves the lack of heat on her feet and legs.

Old 08-03-2011 | 08:38 AM
Tele00
Tourer

I did my own ..but I own a bodyshop and have been doing this sort of stuff for over 30 years . I think the 169.00 exchange price at American Customs is reasonable for someone that wants this mod and is in any way reluctant to have at it themselves. But I wouldn't pay the price and not exchange ...at that point it's over 300 bucks and I think I'd spend the money on true duals.

Old 08-03-2011 | 01:57 PM
sdfireman
Advanced

Would not have minded doing it myself, have gutted my last 4 diesels, but my welding skills have a little to be desired and the running to town and back to find a mufflershop............v.s. the AC route figured it did not cost me much more.

Old 08-03-2011 | 03:48 PM
Holster Maker
Tourer

I did the Amer Cust deal too, but I'm keeping my stock cat pipe.
When I pay $25-30 shipping back cost, I only make $100 refund, so I'll keep it for the possible pending smog test, that is a reality........however it will be a visual test and won't be visible anyway, so makes you wonder, if it is going to be garage junk!

Old 08-03-2011 | 08:01 PM
wingfoot
Road Captain

FYI,

I have a 2009 head pipe with the 12mm bungs TIG welded in the correct location for 2010-12 bikes. The 18mm bungs are still there and will need the plugs to cap them (found at any auto parts store).

I will take $100 + shipping. Please PM me.

Sorry for the hijack..

Old 08-03-2011 | 11:46 PM
dnitram
Road Master
Talking Anxious To Make The Change

Originally Posted by Holster Maker
I did the Amer Cust deal too, but I'm keeping my stock cat pipe.
When I pay $25-30 shipping back cost, I only make $100 refund, so I'll keep it for the possible pending smog test, that is a reality........however it will be a visual test and won't be visible anyway, so makes you wonder, if it is going to be garage junk!
That's the direction I'm taking, also. N. Cal will likely mandate motorcycle emission testing before Georgia, but you never know where they're looking for increasing tax revenues. The $100 back after shipping is tempting, but not as tempting as keeping the head pipe "just In Case." Besides, I heard the term Garage Art, so I guess I'll call it that when I hand them up... can always list them here or post them on Ebay.

Can't wait to get rid of the heat so my wife will be a little happier. By the way, did you make any other changes prior to or after changing to the American Custom? Aside from the heat reduction, any notable changes? Seat of the pants differences? Just curious (and anxious for them to come in this Friday and put 'em on)!

Quick Reply: catalytic converter