Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011 | 02:51 AM
stealhunt
Novice

I recently drilled out most of the cat, and took different shaped steel rods with bends in them to knock out the remainder. It is very diffecult to get it all. I got at least 90% out. Does anyone have an opinion that leaving small remnants to the side wall would have a negative effect on the end result, which is better sound, lower heat and hopefully a little more power

Old 08-02-2011 | 06:07 AM
dnitram
Road Master
Old 08-02-2011 | 07:14 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by "Big E"
ther is a couple of sets of 09 factory headpipes in the touring classifieds, no cat!. thats what i did . then got the pcv, se stage one ac.
I did the same, got mine free from a friend. If you do this, don't forget to get 18mm o2 censer plugs for the head pipe. My bike runs cooler and a bit faster. I got my pre-mapped PCV, air kit and the o2 plugs from Fuel Moto. Fast shipping and great customer service.

Old 08-02-2011 | 07:58 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by stealhunt
I recently drilled out most of the cat, and took different shaped steel rods with bends in them to knock out the remainder. It is very diffecult to get it all. I got at least 90% out. Does anyone have an opinion that leaving small remnants to the side wall would have a negative effect on the end result, which is better sound, lower heat and hopefully a little more power
i would be leery of this myself. i know that odds are against it, but with some exhaust reversion, you could end up with catalyst being sucked into your exhaust valve. better to either cut a door out, or cut it in half and clean it out the right way.

Originally Posted by reesestewww
JR,
With a stock A/C and stock mufflers, do you think a remap is still nessesry after the cat is removed?

Thanks
R
no, not necessary. i removed the cat from my 2010 within the first couple of months of owning it. ran it catless, and with a nightstick for over a year. finally got the powervision (along with the rest of the stage 1) after receiving an income tax refund....

Originally Posted by KCFLHTK
Much cheaper to remove the CAT out of the head pipe than buy a whole new head pipe. Plus there is very little performance advantage if any by going to an aftermarket head pipe. The Harley 2 into 1 into 2 is a very good design, the CAT just kills it. I will be removing mine soon before summer gets here.
actually, there is little performance gain by removing the cat. there is however, a huge gain in heat reduction.

Last edited by skratch; 08-02-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-02-2011 | 08:10 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

I can tell you for sure that removal of even just the CAT improves the sound of the bike. I just recently went from a completely stock set-up to adding just V&H Powerduals. That alone made the bike run with a deeper tone and the mufflers were just a bit louder and had a better tone.

This week I'll be swapping the stock air cleaner for a SE Ventilator stage I. I already have a PC-V in it. The right side feels cooler for sure without the CAT.

Old 08-02-2011 | 08:24 AM
Tele00
Tourer

Originally Posted by skratch
actually, there is little performance gain by removing the cat. there is however, a huge gain in heat reduction.
This may be true as far as actual dyno numbers are concerned . But IMHO there feels to be definite "percieved " performance gains . without a doubt there is less " Lag " upon acceleration and there is an obvious reduction in backpressure noticed both during acceleration and decelleration ...HP and Torque numbers aside , IMHO there is a very noticeable difference in how the bike " performs "

Last edited by Tele00; 08-02-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-02-2011 | 08:44 AM
dnitram
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tele00
This may be true as far as actual dyno numbers are concerned . But IMHO there feels to be definite "percieved " performance gains . without a doubt there is less " Lag " upon acceleration and there is an obvious reduction in backpressure noticed both during acceleration and decelleration ...HP and Torque numbers aside , IMHO there is a very noticeable difference in how the bike " performs "
It looks like your bike is pretty much set up like mine, except I haven't done the head pipe (cat-less) install yet. Have you found any need yet to do anything else, ECM wise, other than the Stage I download? Happy with the results as it is? I'll be happy as a clam if I can get the heat reduced on the right side and so will my wife... This RKC is the first bike she's ever had anything to say about the heat on her leg.

Old 08-02-2011 | 08:50 AM
Dr.ultra2010
Road Captain

Thier is another pic on this forum of cutting a door in the cat and removing stuff,that way your length stays the same,you will have a problem if its not welded xact the other way,it might be too short...i cut door in mine....no problems

Old 08-02-2011 | 09:00 AM
Tele00
Tourer

Originally Posted by dnitram
It looks like your bike is pretty much set up like mine, except I haven't done the head pipe (cat-less) install yet. Have you found any need yet to do anything else, ECM wise, other than the Stage I download? Happy with the results as it is? I'll be happy as a clam if I can get the heat reduced on the right side and so will my wife... This RKC is the first bike she's ever had anything to say about the heat on her leg.
I am Very happy with how the bike runs after the Cat removal. I was a little hesitant to do it at first because I had JUST had the SE a/c and Stage 1 download done during my 1000k service and it was running GREAT ....but the heat was really bothering me ...so I went ahead and did it . The bike still runs GREAT and feels more opened up . I have since put 600 miles on it on highways, backroads and everything in between and it has been great and MUCH cooler on the rt calf/thigh.

I just wakled out and pulled the plugs because you got me curious ...here is whet they look like at this point .

Last edited by Tele00; 08-02-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2011 | 07:33 PM
dnitram
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tele00
I am Very happy with how the bike runs after the Cat removal. I was a little hesitant to do it at first because I had JUST had the SE a/c and Stage 1 download done during my 1000k service and it was running GREAT ....but the heat was really bothering me ...so I went ahead and did it . The bike still runs GREAT and feels more opened up . I have since put 600 miles on it on highways, backroads and everything in between and it has been great and MUCH cooler on the rt calf/thigh.

I just wakled out and pulled the plugs because you got me curious ...here is whet they look like at this point .

Well, you've helped me to confirm that my decision is the right one and I really appreciate that! Found 2 sites with instructions on the Cat/head pipe replacement, got my anti-seize, exhaust gaskets and blue loctite ready. The pipe from American Custom is supposed to be be delivered Friday. I know they'll give me a refund of $130 if I send it back, but something tells me I ought to hold onto it in case a warranty problem arises OR (God forbid) they start checking for exhaust emissions on motorcycles around here.

Quick Reply: catalytic converter