Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks... Progressive or Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:06 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shocks... Progressive or Stock?

Hey All.. I'm not an extremely sporty rider.. I do go fast, but I'm in florida, and the roads are straight and clean down here. That being said. I'm trying to mimick the ride from an older road king I had, so I'm going to put some 13" shocks on my SG, bringing it back up to the height that the RK was on. That being said. Should I do the stock Ultra Shocks, or should I go Progressive? What would the difference feel like? Is progressive going to be a much harder ride?? Thoughts?

Old 03-26-2011, 03:15 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreyjames
Hey All.. I'm not an extremely sporty rider.. I do go fast, but I'm in florida, and the roads are straight and clean down here. That being said. I'm trying to mimick the ride from an older road king I had, so I'm going to put some 13" shocks on my SG, bringing it back up to the height that the RK was on. That being said. Should I do the stock Ultra Shocks, or should I go Progressive? What would the difference feel like? Is progressive going to be a much harder ride?? Thoughts?
The 13" shocks will ride better then the 12" SG shocks (4" of travel compared to 2") but they still won't ride anywhere near as good as aftermarket shocks. Check into the Ohlins, better then the Progressive's and if you go through MotorcycleMetal.com, the price will be about the same.....Type in Ohlins shocks in the search box above and start reading...

Old 03-26-2011, 03:16 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
The 13" shocks will ride better then the 12" SG shocks (4" of travel compared to 2") but they still won't ride anywhere near as good as aftermarket shocks. Check into the Ohlins, better then the Progressive's and if you go through MotorcycleMetal.com, the price will be about the same.....Type in Ohlins shocks in the search box above and start reading...
Good info.. How is the ride on the Ohlins? Could you explain?

Old 03-26-2011, 03:30 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Good info.. How is the ride on the Ohlins? Could you explain?
Like day and night compared to the stock air shocks. Check out Howards website, lots of good reading and several models of shocks to choose from. It all depends on your pocketbook and what your looking for as far as adjustment. I have the basic Ohlins and they are fine for my type of riding/touring.

If you want to talk shocks, give him a call but be prepared to be on the phone awhile , he knows his s__t when it comes to shocks.....

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/

Plus he's in Florida too...Might be worth a day trip to his business...

Old 03-26-2011, 03:33 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Like day and night compared to the stock air shocks. Check out Howards website, lots of good reading and several models of shocks to choose from. It all depends on your pocketbook and what your looking for as far as adjustment. I have the basic Ohlins and they are fine for my type of riding/touring.

If you want to talk shocks, give him a call but be prepared to be on the phone awhile , he knows his s__t when it comes to shocks.....

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/

Plus he's in Florida too...Might be worth a day trip to his business...
Thanks so much.. Cool guy.. Just got off the phone with him.. No b.s., I'm meeting with him on Monday.. He's only 20 minutes from me.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:37 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Thanks so much.. Cool guy.. Just got off the phone with him.. No b.s., I'm meeting with him on Monday.. He's only 20 minutes from me.
Lucky you, if I did, I probably would have tested out and bought the upgraded shocks but right now, I'm satisfied with what I have.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:43 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are only twenty minutes then go see Howard. There are a ton of debates on the best shocks, but I think you found one of the top options. Be prepared to spend some money!