Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First impressions of 2011RG Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:47 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,210 Likes on 5,424 Posts
Default First impressions of 2011RG Ultra

Impression of my new Road Glide Ultra. First in no way does how I feel about this ride degrade the 07 Rg I trade off. It is a fine ride and served me well for 60K and will go one to serve another for a long time to come.
The 2011 is a bit heavier but you do not really notice it. The new frame seems to sit a bit higher but the seat compensates for that. The 2011 is not the same as the 07 the fairing angle is different. Sitting in the seat the tank position reminded me of a SG. I like the redesigned seat so far narrow in front to give back some inseam. However I am a lighter person a large rider may not enjoy this seat. The passenger will not care it is large. But that strap across the seat has got to go right next to the other ones I have collected in the garage.
The bike lifts of jiffy stand with easy, The frame mounted fairing makes for a light front end. The auto compression release makes for an easy start. But what is this ABS light flashing, just a test it will stop , but it is not stopping. Check manual page 65 , they all do it just kidding it is normal motorcycle turned on speed under 3 mph. Ok lets start this thing. Gas gauge full, thank you dealer.
Fires right off sounds good for stock pipes not loud little Hd rumble. Stiff going into first but not the loud clunk I was kind of use to. Let the effortless clutch out and away we go. Short slow right turn out first thing I notice is not as much of a heavy nose dive on such a short hard turn. A quick stiff shift to second and a left out on to the road. This thing feels like it wants to do some cornering.
Right away you notice the torque from the 103 you cannot miss it if you spent any time on a TC96.
Now is when you really notice things have been moved around sense the 07 design. Bike sits well and the view of the road in as good as it gets. Two quick stop signs and on the freeway effortless move to 65 shifting at the low end but not lugging it new bike give it a day or two. Now you notice the new gearing, IMO they got that right raising the rpms a bit gives it better roll on and the bike seems to like it.
Slow down off the ramp and notice a different feel to the brakes but they work fine and smooth.
You will feel more compression braking on this ride. I am not sure if it is the 103 or the new gearing that causes this maybe both. I really need to get that ABS CD that came with the bike out and watch it.
Left turn on to a country road nice bright 45 degree day the dash is easy to read and the radio angle is better than the 07 was.
I had the new air deflectors installed on the crash bars they clip to it and fit along the tank. I cannot say how it would be without them latter I will remove them a find out. Air flow is great with lower vents open or close and not buffeting for me. Windshield height may need to be lower for me I need to ride it more. It was 45 degrees so not much to say about heat I felt around as I rode and did not feel the heat rise I would have on my 07.
Stop for coffee N is where? Between 1 and 2 I though, keep looking shut engine down ok there it is.
If bike is moving a bit it pops right in N sitting at idle it is not easy to hit. May be a clutch adjustment thing we shall see. As for shifting it is a HD feels different than other 6 speeds is stiff I like it.
For me heel shift will need to go I want to move my foot back on more on the board. So far the stock bars feel ok and I am happy with riding position on it.
The bike is effortless to ride but push it in a tight curve and if you know what you are doing it will do what you ask . This is one bagger that can straight out a curved road with plenty of torque to pull the 800 PLUS POUNDS through .
All my mods are not in yet The tour pack rack with led is on the rest of the spoiler lights and sweep/filler will be here soon. I will post more of what I think about this ride as I rack up a few miles on it.
This ride is all I had hoped it would be and more. I will post some pictures taken to day latter.
The ride on this new bike is a bit stiffer. I am a light weight so how it feels to me will be different than someone in the 200 plus size. Betting the stiffer ride helps with the solid feel it has when pushed in a curve.
Long ride in traffic temps in the low 50’s vents closed Kind of miss the engine/exhaust heat from my 07 right about now. Need some warm days to really get an idea of how the heat flows away on this bike. Stop and go and slow moving the bike and I got along well. As for the road snakes and ruts in the road, still hard to say how it is any different with the new size tires I will get back on that in a couple 1000 miles.
Must get them mirror extensions on, I need to see car my winter gloves.
Exhaust sound is ok gets real quiet at cruise. Betting some were down the line I will add some pipes that are a little louder. May use the fatshotz. We will see around August .
Not a big fan of the security system stuff CB intercom ABS. But I will get use to it and when I am ready will figure out how to use the extra toys. I must have turn the intercom on because when I made a comment about a car the radio interrupted and I heard it in the head set. Voice activated. Granddaughter is 12 she loves the sound system and that she can change it from the passenger seat. How did she figure that out so fast? Ordering a spare key fob it comes with two but I am sure I will lose one.
Riding at night what can I say it is a RG and IMO there is nothing that lights up the road better. This one is no different than my 07. The bright orange turn signals got to go, smoked with yellow bulbs on the list. Visit the dash again it seems they found away to make the dash indicators show up better in sunlight . That was an issue with the 07 IMO. Looks like they fixed it. The lighted tour pack rack adds some light at night and the brake light part of it shows up good day or night. During the day light it is hard to see the the running light from it. And it looks like the power cord for it could get pinched in the tour pack lid.
Did I mention I like this bike. This is a touring bike that is fun to ride. Today 28 degrees and ice on the roads it will stay parked.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:55 AM
TexasJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a hard time finding "N" too for a while on my new Ultra Classic. After the bike settled in, and especially after the 1,000 mile service it got way better....no problems now....

Nice looking bike!

Old 03-26-2011, 11:02 AM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up. The "N" is still a mythical monster me as well. I ordered a new Cee Baileys tinted shield, I hope it will be in this week. Even on the cooler days I notice the heat on the right side so I can only imagine how its gonna be in the summer. The headlights needed to be brighter for me so I decided to go with PIAA Extreme White lights, and they really light things up.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:46 PM
okcdoughboy
6th Gear

After 2 years of endless decisions and going back and forth between the Ultra Classic, I chose the Roadglide. I rode a metric cruiser for 6 years and the Ultra Classic was close to what I was used to riding but the Roadglide was completely different and actually fit me better (6'3). Drove it 250 miles the first day with winds about 20-30 mph and it handled great! I agree with you Smitty901, got to get the mirrors extended!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:55 AM
JS999R
Cruiser

Any follow up comments?