Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 running hot

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:17 PM
acadien
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 running hot

Gents

My 07 FLHT is running hot was wondering what I could do. Yesterday a friend of mine who bought an 07 Ultra was told by the salesman that there was a recall out and anybody who wanted they would change the chip so the motor would run cooler. What chip are they talking about ? I was told that was done free of charge.

Roger.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:01 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 07 running hot

Chip is wrong term, no chips in your hd, there is a ECM (electronic control module) this can be reprogramed by the dealer by downloading a different program. There are a few downloads said to help the heat, one reduces the rear cyl. temp by 60 degrees and gives 11% more power, the other is a parade download that cuts the the fire to the rear cyl. after it idles for awhile( this caues raw gas smell and not many want it) but the other might help. Or add a PCIII by dynojet and heat will be no more than previous years, but understand all air cooled v-twins get hot standing still. But the bigger 96inch and it running leaner is a heat producer.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:04 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

download is your best bet. richen up the fuel slightly, the engine runs cooler.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Best bet would be, Sert, A/C, Slip-ons.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:28 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Chip is wrong term, no chips in your hd, there is a ECM (electronic control module) this can be reprogramed by the dealer by downloading a different program. There are a few downloads said to help the heat, one reduces the rear cyl. temp by 60 degrees and gives 11% more power, the other is a parade download that cuts the the fire to the rear cyl. after it idles for awhile( this caues raw gas smell and not many want it) but the other might help. Or add a PCIII by dynojet and heat will be no more than previous years, but understand all air cooled v-twins get hot standing still. But the bigger 96inch and it running leaner is a heat producer.
gunrunner,

Do you know what the download - 11% more power and 60 degree r.c temp. reduction, is called? A part number maybe? This sounds interesting, I may give it a try.

TIA,

Old 10-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Zack
Cruiser

Have ano 07 Ultra...it runs HOT. Called the dealer today he said try a Stage I. Has anyone had results with this.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:47 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont, the general manager at Earl Smalls HD in smyrna georgia told me about it, most of these downloads are on the harley dealer network website but you must be a dealer rto access. Might give them a call and ask, 770-919-0000
ORIGINAL: ironoxide

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

gunrunner,

Do you know what the download - 11% more power and 60 degree r.c temp. reduction, is called? A part number maybe? This sounds interesting, I may give it a try.

TIA,

Old 10-16-2006, 06:22 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..the other is a parade download that cuts the the fire to the rear cyl. after it idles for awhile( this caues raw gas smell and not many want it)...
Not sure why people refer to this as the "parade" download. According to HD's internal training documentation, "Vehicle must be at idle and not moving to activate"

Old 10-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Dave_B
Advanced

ORIGINAL: TowJam

... Not sure why people refer to this as the "parade" download. According to HD's internal training documentation, "Vehicle must be at idle and not moving to activate"
I think we're talking about two different things. I've seen a Service Bulletin titled "2007 Engine Idle Temperature Management System" and it does refer to an ECM program that turns off the rear cylinder fuel injector when engine temperature exceeds a certain point, engine is at idle speed, vehicle not moving, and clutch lever pulled in or transmission in neutral.

But I've also heard references to, but not verified, a "Parade Map" which provides a richer mixture for the first 10% of throttle opening. Sounds logical, although it wouldn't help lean condition at higher speeds.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:36 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go aftermarket,dont expect HD to do much on the heat issue.Them and the EPA bought off on the data,results to abide the tighter restrictions.The available tweaking range is probably very small w/stockish setup and still be legal.

Quick Reply: 07 running hot