Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure why I felt better on RK than SG..

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:08 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not sure why I felt better on RK than SG..

Hey All.. I don't know what it is.. Maybe it's the seat, maybe it's the handlebars, maybe it's the shocks, maybe it's the windshield, maybe it's who knows what.. But the RK Police seemed like a more enjoyable ride than the SG.

I had a 2001 RK Police bike. It had a saddleman seat on it, and everything else was stock.

Then I got a 2006 SG.. I have a mustang seat on it with back rest. Working on the wind management issues with the fairing.

I don't know if it's because the wind buffeting is worse on this bike than the RK, or I'm too OCD about my bike fitting me perfect, but it seems like I was much more comfortable on the road king.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any thoughts?

Last edited by jeffreyjames; 03-25-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

When I changed from 07 FLHT to 11 FLTRX 103 I had to make a few adjustments. Get some seat time. I'm sure the Batwing has something to do with it. Good Luck

Old 03-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Mr_B
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, That fairing is tough to get used to. You need more time in the saddle. You'll be fine. By the end of the summer, you won't want to ride anything else.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:04 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I test rode a 2010 RoadGlide before I bought my 2010 RoadKing.

I liked the RG a lot but the buffeting issues were terrible with or without a helmet on. I never could hear the radio. That bike had a Sundowner seat the seat was very comfy. The RG had the lowered shocks on it and did not really ride as well as my RK - I really think
it is the lowered rear shocks on the RG/SG series

There are a lot of threads on the forum where RG/SG guys went back to a stock height rear shock - and got a much better ride.

Went back and bought a RoadKing - no buffeting, no radio, no problem! I've got a Sundowner as well as a SG seat for it and it has the 12" stock shocks on the rear. Rides real well with either seat.

Last edited by 10 RED RK; 03-26-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:15 AM
ErikElvis
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I test rode a Road king and Street glide yesterday. I really liked the Road king. Rode real nice. Windshield did pretty good at keeping wind off of my face. I def liked it better than the street glide. The wind on my face was horrible. (it was around 35-40 degrees) and the ride was kinda rough. I could handle the ride but after riding the road king and ultra I felt pampered. Now of course the wind issue is easy enough to fix. Those curved windshields, I believe, still kinda give a hot rod look and people say they help out a lot with wind.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:43 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a RK, I also have a batwing fairing from DCC as it did better for buffeting management than the stock shield, I have tried a SG, do not understand why it is worse for buffet than the add on on my ride. The ride characteristics I did not like even as it felt better at a standstill being lower and it was just 'different' feeling, I will keep the King.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:48 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I traded in my 08' SG to get back on a "King", enough said.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:54 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it is the shocks. Could be the lowered ergonomics of the SG? I really want to make the SG for so many reasons. I ordered fork baffles yesterday, hopefully that helps. Why did the people that went from SG to RK like the king better?

Old 03-26-2011, 08:43 AM
cogener8
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a RKC and was talkin to one of the salesmen at the dealer the other day. He got rid of his SG and was lookin at a new RG ultra. But he told me your RK rides better than any SG due to the shocks. I dont know as Ive never rode any but mine but thats what he said and he's rode em all.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:23 PM
v-rodder
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With a SG, I always think I will decapitate myself if I brake to hard. The fairing is just too big and too close for my taste.

Jim

Quick Reply: Not sure why I felt better on RK than SG..