Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eastern Beaver Fuse Block

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011 | 11:54 AM
Flintshooter54
|
Road Captain

Ok here is what I have so far.
1) Made a bracket out of a 1/16 pc of flat steel and bent the ears slightly to fit the two back rest studs under the seat. Drilled four holes to mount the PC-8. Painted it black and screwed the PC-8 to it with some 8-32 screws washers, nuts and lock tight.

The main power wires go directly to the battery through a 30 amp main fuse. The second red main wire goes through a relay to the battery.

The read and black wire is going to a power outlet that will mount to the heat shield.

The second set of black wires go to the wife's Gerbings jacket outlet and I zip tied that to the headset outlet on the tourpack. It has a cover for when not in use.

The blue wire coming out of the relay is the trigger wire. This needs to go to a spot that is hot only when the ignition is turned on.

Modes gave me the idea, (thanks man!) to go to the connector right in front of the rear fender. In this connector there is a orange and white wire. It goes down to the fender tip running light. Disconnect this connector and remove only that pin on the orange and white wire. Carefully opened the crimp and placed my blue wire in with it. Crimped it back closed and soldered it in place. put the pin back in the connector and plug it back in. Now the two circuits are hot all the time and the six others are only hot when the ignition is on. Nice and clean.

When I get everything complete and put the fuses in place for each circuit I will put the cover back on and label the circuits as to where they go. I have a GPS unit to power and a couple lights to add first though.

For a future project I would like to use the acc lighted switch on the dash to run a little open and closed relay to run a duel map on the Fuel Moto Power Commander V. That way the light on the dash will show you which map you are running.

Last edited by Flintshooter54; 03-26-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2011 | 02:15 PM
f35099
Intermediate

Very slick! Thanks for the photos. Makes everything much clearer

Old 03-27-2011 | 09:21 PM
Flintshooter54
|
Road Captain

Well decided to change where the relay trigger wire was attached. It worked fine but only in the ignition position. If you switched on over to Acc. the tail lights went off of course and so did my fuse panel.

So I decided to open her up.

Ran a wire up under the tank in that wire chase and soldered it onto the connector on the back of the cigarette lighter. It is the black wire in this picture. Now my fuse panel works in the Acc. position.

Also ran my wires for the Zumo GPS wile I had everything apart. I added this connector to the power cord. It is the one that comes with the Gerbings heated gear. I just bought a 12" extension and cut it in half. That way I had both male and female ends. When not in use I can take the GPS cradle off and just unplug the power cord. The connector hides under the clutch cable right where it enters the rubber grommet in the fairing and is hard to see when not in use.