Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting Heritage bars on Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:40 PM
canicta
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Putting Heritage bars on Road King Classic

I am going to put on Heritage bars on my 2010 Road King Classic. If/when the weather shapes up here in Wisconsin,I am wondering how difficult it will be or would it be better off to leave it to the"pros"? I am somewhat handy but have never done anything nor am I familiar with this type of task. Hopefuly this will take care of my shoulder hurting after 20miles or so. From everything I have read on this forum the Heritage bars are the best replacement, so those are the ones I have. Just waiting for the 6 in. of new snow to melt and weather to shape up. Thanks

Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 PM
rkramchuck
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did it on my 09 real easy to do

Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 PM
pushcart
Intermediate

I did it two days ago on my 06 RK. Easy job. Took three hours, part of which was polishing chrome while I had the windshield off and the nacelle apart. No parts needed other than the bars. Can't speak to the fly-by-wire throttle piece of the job because the 06 is a cable throttle, but plenty of info on this forum about that.

I used this web page for instructions: http://www.moccsplace.com/images/harley/hbar/hbar.htm

The Heritage bars are more comfortable and low speed handling is improved.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

TBW is even easier then cables. I have done both most recently my 2011 RGU. If you can change oil without screwing up you can change handlebars. If you have to think about changing oil then you might leave it to the pros. lol.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:01 AM
right hook
Cruiser

It was really easy on my 08. There's a nut/bolt in the headlight way in the back which you'll run into. The trick there is don't take the nut all the way off, just loosen it almost all the way and you can slide the cover back and off. Make re-assembly MUCH easier.
If you look in the headlight and free up the wires you can pull enough out of the end of the bar to disconnect the TBW- that connector resides inside the handlebar.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 AM
right hook
Cruiser

Also, since I had the stock bar removed I put the clutch side grip in boiling water to loosen and remove it. Worked like a charm, just wear a glove or rag and twist it off after heating for awhile. Watch the hot water that drips out of the holes when you pull it out of the pot also.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:33 AM
jasons
Novice

They helped my shoulder a lot on my '08. If you don't want to mess with the grips you can use it as an excuse to get some new ones..

Jason

Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
MadIrish
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for new grips...I didn't think the stock ones were too comfortable, so I changed 'em when I put on my Heritage STYLE bars. You are putting "Heritage style" bars on, yes? Not bars from a Heritage Classic?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 PM
cjairplane
Cruiser

Choosing the right bars for me was a very difficult decision, I only knew that it HAD to be done. I setteled on the Wild Ones WO508, very very happy. Chrome is good. I elected to let the pros take care of the install, didn't want to screw up the TBW. Like the others, I also recommend changing out the grips while you've got it all off. Good luck, Sir.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:52 AM
boxer77s
Stage I
Default Heritage bars on a Road King

I also just changed the bars on my 03 Road King Classic....very easy job. I put on Heritage Softail bars part #56623-99. They are the same dimensions as the Heritage Style bars for the newer bikes with fly by wire controls. I used the same instructions as the previous reply. Like everyone else has said there is no need to change anything else. Just a bit of a tweek on the front brake line so that it follows the contour of the new handlebar. While I was behind the headlight I even changed the wiring so that my auxilary lamps would stay on when I switch to highbeams.

Quick Reply: Putting Heritage bars on Road King Classic