Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions please on lower fork finish

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:52 PM
TCMAN
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions please on lower fork finish

Now I did it, apparently missed a lower fork leg on prep for winter layover. Couple of spots seem to be oxidized is my guess. I thought Simichrome would polish it right out. Well it did alright now I have a couple spots that are semi-polished looking. Any products out there to possibly get her back to somewhat normal looking. Appreciate any and all help here. Thanks

Old 03-24-2011, 08:03 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,870 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Chrome.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:06 PM
TCMAN
Cruiser

I should have added, other than chrome or completely polishing the entire lower legs. Thanks

Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no unless u finish both lowers

Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

Been there done that years ago. I wish there was an easy way out. I did something similar. Boy, I made a lot of extra work for myself. Good Luck.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 PM
FFHazen
5th Gear

Ya, I am in the same boat!! I got to anxious taking off the reflectors and mrked up my one lower. Looks like I am going to be polishing both!!
Going to finish it with that Everbrite product. Its supposed to be really good!? Should keep the shine for a long time!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:07 PM
TCMAN
Cruiser

To be honest it is not super noticeable, however, I know it is there. Also, anyone really looking at the bike would notice it. I will wait for some other suggestions, if there are any, then play around with it (see if I can't really make a mess of it). If nothing else I'll just chaulk it up to one of those experiences we all get from our lifestyle. It would have happened sooner or later more than likely anyway. If not that, some other fubar is bound to happen and probably will happen again down the road. Life goes on. If nothing else I will have a good project to work on next winter.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:49 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Chrome.
+1 on Chrome. Your present situation (stock finish) isn't going to improve with time.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Gee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

Old thread but people still search for answers when they have similar situations so my 2cents is wet/dry sand paper will dull the shine on them. Similar to the process you would take to shine them but stop when they match the finish you want.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:11 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TCMAN
Now I did it, apparently missed a lower fork leg on prep for winter layover. Couple of spots seem to be oxidized is my guess. I thought Simichrome would polish it right out. Well it did alright now I have a couple spots that are semi-polished looking. Any products out there to possibly get her back to somewhat normal looking. Appreciate any and all help here. Thanks
Pull the front wheel and fender, get the 3m windshield restoration kit and a drill and polish the fork lowers. This is how mine turned out. Took about 2 hrs to do the pair. Finished them up with simichrome on the drill, polish pad, waxed and put it back together. A little simichrome once a month (on a rag) and they stay that way.

Quick Reply: Suggestions please on lower fork finish