Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the deal with PM hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:23 PM
drive2live2ride
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's the deal with PM hubs?

The return spring on the foot pedal of my pit bull lift broke and ricocheted off of my new Performance Machine single disk hub and left a nice scar on it. Zero miles on the wheel and already a ding. Oh well.

So I call the distributor where I bought the wheel and they will sell and install a new hub, but will not ship the hub to me stating liability reasons. I would have to ship the wheel back to them, have them install the new one and then wait for it to ship back. The distributor is quoting a very fair price, but it is strange that I can not just buy the hub.

So I call another wheel distributor and get the same story. They stated that PM does not like to sell anyone an uninstalled hub. For the life of me I can not understand why I can buy rotors, calipers, spacers, wheels, tires and install all of them myself, but not a hub. What am I missing and why would the liability be greater on a hub not installed by a distributor than it would be on a rotor or caliper not installed by the distributor?

I would think the liability would be greater on the distributor if they did install the hub and it failed. If they don't do the install and something fails they would just be in the same boat as any other parts they sell and don't install....."We didn't install it, so we are not responsible."

What am I missing?

P.S. Pit Bull lifts are great, but the return spring sucks. Word of advice: If you have one go get a good quality spring that's heavier than the one that comes with it. You might be glad you did. This is not a pit bull rant, just want to maybe save someone a ding in the paint or chrome or eye etc.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm assuming they don't want someone installing one of their hubs into another manufacturers (or home built) wheel. As you state, liability is the root of the issue I'm sure. I would think the chances of failure or poor performance are greater on a hub than a rotor, wheel assembly, caliper, etc.

Just a guess.

Zach

Old 03-24-2011, 04:42 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would just send it back and let them get it done and over with. u say the price is right. so it takes another week or so at least u know it will be done right. just my 2 cents.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:38 PM
drive2live2ride
Supporter

Originally Posted by Biggzed
I'm assuming they don't want someone installing one of their hubs into another manufacturers (or home built) wheel. As you state, liability is the root of the issue I'm sure. I would think the chances of failure or poor performance are greater on a hub than a rotor, wheel assembly, caliper, etc.

Just a guess.

Zach
Good point. I didn't think about someone trying to install one on a different type of wheel. Still don't quite understand how they would be liable for an install I did myself. Hell, think about how many aftermarket products there are for bikes that if installed incorrectly could "result in serious injury or death". I see that warning sticker on everything I buy for my bike.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 PM
drive2live2ride
Supporter

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
i would just send it back and let them get it done and over with. u say the price is right. so it takes another week or so at least u know it will be done right. just my 2 cents.
Yeah I hear ya, but shipping two ways is more risk for further damage to the wheel. The more its handled you know....

And the thing is it's nothing more than bolts, lock tite, a torque wrench and a star pattern when cinching it down. But I guess the simplicity of it is not really the issue. It's the liability. It's not really that big of a deal at the end of the day, but kinda made my eyes cross because everything I do to my bike could kill me if I did it wrong. Why is that the responsibility of the manufacture? Just think if every manufacture had this concern about every part they made that could fail if installed incorrectly and would only sell it to you if a dealer installed it. Now that would make to moco happy!

Old 07-22-2014, 07:40 AM
drcrazytrain
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought a set of PM hubs, call PM ask for parts. Tell them what you need!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 PM
drive2live2ride
Supporter

PM must have changed their policy since then. Back in 2011 when I originally started this thread PM would not sell me a hub. Neither would coastal moto (and I love that company) no how, no way. I finally got hog pro to do it and all was good. Never have worked so hard to get someone to take my money tho!