Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dual halogen headlight vs singleclear halogen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:20 PM
NC SeaDog
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual halogen headlight vs singleclear halogen?

I'm looking to replace the 7" headlight on my RK. I don't want to spend the money for the led units at this point which leave 3 choices as I understand it.

1. Stock headlight
2. "clear" halogen headlamp for about $110
3. Dual halogen for about $175
4. HID conversion - which I understand to be illegal because unless installed as original equipment, does not have the correct design to focus
the HID lighting, and would still require a new "housing" to install within.

My question is - does anyone have any experience with the dual halogen HD headlamp? Is it significantly better than the "clear" halogen headight?

I've found lots of discussion of the LED's but nothing useful on the dual halogens - any thoughts out there about how to go?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:10 PM
lasvegasrick
Advanced
Talking

seadog i run with the screaming eagle duel head light with duel hid 5000k bulbs and ballest great amount of light ,ive done 6 setups all work great...good luck with your choice..also check out a place called ddm they have kool stuff

Old 03-25-2011, 04:34 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

hey seadog, i'm using the hella E-code headlight. it's cheap and is claimed to put out 400% more light, although it really doesn't. the headlight just focusses the light down your lane rather than splattering it all over the place like our stock ones do. i discovered these headlights when i was considering upgrading my headlight. i'm very pleased with how much better it works. our stock headlights put a lot of spread of light in our path, or all over the place, to light up overhead signs, oncoming traffic, and on the shoulder. the E-code headlight places most of the light straight down your lane. using the same bulb as i had in my stock streetglide housing, there is a huge improvement in what i can see at night while riding. there are two types of E-code headlights. those for the english and other countries where they drive on the wrong side of the road, and the ones for us who drive on the right side. the "E" in e code stands for european. hella and cibie are the two main players in the game. if you google susquehanna motorsports you'll be able to see their product line. it's an easy replacement, all glass unlike the plastic headlight housing that harley uses, and the reflector and lens is great looking also. i think it was under 60 bucks for a tremendous improvement in lighting. this information should fall into the sticky category, night riding is important to many of us, and anything that can be done to improve our vision is a very good thing.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:44 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I did not see any mention of the year of the bike. I put the duel halogen on my "03 Ultra and saw a big improvement over stock. But I believe that the stock headlight on my '09 is better than the dual halogen setup. Hope this helps.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the dual element HD halogen bulb/housing (67864-04A) on my bike and feel it did improve the lighting.

I would have put the HD HID kit on but it was a lot more expensive and required more wiring changes that I was willing to perform.

As you stated, from what I have read a lot of aftermarket HID kits use the original light housing and they are not designed for use with HID bulbs and do put out a light pattern that is inappropriate for those bulbs. I understand that they tend to put light in oncoming drivers faces more than they should. Putting a new housing along with the HID bulbs as the HD kit does should eliminate that problem. But, doing that costs a lot more.

I would consider using the new HD LED bulb if I was looking for a replacement for the stock set up because it seems to do a better job of illuminating the road and it is a simple plug and play installation.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I put the dual halogen headlight on my RK last year and really like it.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have an H-D HID kit on my 1990 Glide. I don't recommend it. It has a very wide low beam, which is a great daytime light, but an utterly useless high beam. Only low is HID and I have wired it so it stays on all the time. It also is poor for night driving, because the cut-off is rather like a black velver curtain. I can see nothing above the very brightly lit beam pattern! IMHO you should go with one of the other suggestions.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 PM
NC SeaDog
Novice

Thanks to everyone for the feed back - I'm looking into the suggestions!

Old 03-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+ Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

Old 04-03-2011, 05:35 PM
NC SeaDog
Novice
Default Right Decision?

Decided for budget reasons to go with a single halogen for the time being.
I'm looking at a 7" G4 model made by KC lighting for about $55 at AutoZone. I kind of like that it's lexan. Anyone have any opinions?

Quick Reply: dual halogen headlight vs singleclear halogen?