Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dual halogen headlight vs singleclear halogen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Harleydave41
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris9982
I put the dual element HD halogen bulb/housing (67864-04A) on my bike and feel it did improve the lighting.

I would have put the HD HID kit on but it was a lot more expensive and required more wiring changes that I was willing to perform.

As you stated, from what I have read a lot of aftermarket HID kits use the original light housing and they are not designed for use with HID bulbs and do put out a light pattern that is inappropriate for those bulbs. I understand that they tend to put light in oncoming drivers faces more than they should. Putting a new housing along with the HID bulbs as the HD kit does should eliminate that problem. But, doing that costs a lot more.

I would consider using the new HD LED bulb if I was looking for a replacement for the stock set up because it seems to do a better job of illuminating the road and it is a simple plug and play installation.

About the light pattern,,, It is not a good thing. I did it and I was more concerned for my life than the ticket. I ended up getting the "dual". Love it.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Harleydave41
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have an H-D HID kit on my 1990 Glide. I don't recommend it. It has a very wide low beam, which is a great daytime light, but an utterly useless high beam. Only low is HID and I have wired it so it stays on all the time. It also is poor for night driving, because the cut-off is rather like a black velver curtain. I can see nothing above the very brightly lit beam pattern! IMHO you should go with one of the other suggestions.
I tried the BI-XENON and it was not much better. Did not work well with the Bosch reflector at all.