Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Tail lamp for my Ultra.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 AM
mrjimbo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Tail lamp for my Ultra.....

I have already upgraded the Headlamp and spots to the HD Led's(they are worth the doe) and am looking at thte rest of my lights.
Harley's LED tail lamp 68085-08 seems to be wrapped in chrome? Is this Chrome optional and without it, will it light the plate up? I am ready to order the front and rear turn signals, just stuck on the tail.
or......any other options keeping me below $400 for all......Brightasslights look nice but frankly they want too much for the technology involved, so does HD, but that's a different story.......

Old 03-24-2011, 09:10 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts
Old 03-24-2011, 09:39 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up Other options...

Originally Posted by mrjimbo
I have already upgraded the Headlamp and spots to the HD Led's(they are worth the doe) and am looking at thte rest of my lights.
Harley's LED tail lamp 68085-08 seems to be wrapped in chrome? Is this Chrome optional and without it, will it light the plate up? I am ready to order the front and rear turn signals, just stuck on the tail.
or......any other options keeping me below $400 for all......Brightasslights look nice but frankly they want too much for the technology involved, so does HD, but that's a different story.......
Have you looked at Custom Dynamics? That is what I installed.

You can see mine here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lLVr9ZF8zk

Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So...you spent probably close to, if not more than a grand for your spots and headlights but the BAL is to expensive? Really???

I had an Ultra last year...and bought the LED taillight from HD. Very disappointed. Bit the bullet and put on the BAL...you can't compare the two...the BAL is WAY brighter.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If you look at the BAL-1 from Brightasslights.com you will throw rocks at the rest of the tail lights.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I rode behind SlowRain's Ultra with the brightass tail light; ordered the BAL-1R the next week.

It's interesting that $900 for LED lights in the front works for you, but the $60 delta between the HD LED and the vastly superior BAL is too much.

Perhaps if you've ridden behind someone with the BAL you might feel differently; I know riding behind SlowRain's Ultra convinced me that $199 for a tail light actually made good sense.

Another alternative is to buy the Ridetimetechnology LED replacement panels for the tour pak lights. They're far brighter and mounted high; better visibility than anything you'll do with the tail light.

Good luck with your research and purchases.

Carl

Old 03-24-2011, 10:59 AM
jkelley
Tourer
Talking

Originally Posted by SlowRain
So...you spent probably close to, if not more than a grand for your spots and headlights but the BAL is to expensive? Really???

I had an Ultra last year...and bought the LED taillight from HD. Very disappointed. Bit the bullet and put on the BAL...you can't compare the two...the BAL is WAY brighter.
+1 BAl is the way to go.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
mrjimbo
Tourer

Wow......bring on the bashing......actually spent less than 800 for the LED's up front.....My choice for Led's up front was for ME to be able to see......

anyways........can you wire the BAL's to not "pulse", I really dont have a problem seeing the guys I ride with and none of them have the pulsing lights, I can't stand the looks of that on a car/truck, so really don't want to put them on my bike, guess I'll get bashed for that too?

The Walters workshop looks good, and they have bulbs to slip into the Tourpak as well....

Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow......bring on the bashing......actually spent less than 800 for the LED's up front.....My choice for Led's up front was for ME to be able to see......

anyways........can you wire the BAL's to not "pulse", I really dont have a problem seeing the guys I ride with and none of them have the pulsing lights, I can't stand the looks of that on a car/truck, so really don't want to put them on my bike, guess I'll get bashed for that too?

The Walters workshop looks good, and they have bulbs to slip into the Tourpak as well....
If I remember correctly with the BAL-1 you can set it to 20+ patterns...and yes, one of those is no pulse...just behaves like a regular taillight...albeit a lot brighter. I believe also you can set the level of light when you aren't using the brake to 3 different levels as well.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slowrain is correct and I have the light on my bike along with the HD led turn signals front and back. I have not done the head light as yet, but I am thinking about it...

Quick Reply: LED Tail lamp for my Ultra.....