Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First oil change, hints/tips welcome

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:02 AM
dionne51
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First oil change, hints/tips welcome

Getting my delivery of Redline synthetic and shockproof heavy tomorrow. Wondering what tips you guys may have for eliminating any oil spilling during the filter removal. I've read everything from 2-liter bottles with a cutout to aluminum foil placed under the filter.
I guess I could just use a shop rag as I have been planning but will listen to any pointers offerred. I know I can just 'suck it up' regarding spilled oil but if I can avoid having to use brake/parts cleaner to remove unwanted spillage I figure I would be ahead of the game.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:11 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First oil change, hints/tips welcome

Trim up a 1 gallon plastic jug to fit....& catch the filter & spill....works slick!

Old 10-16-2006, 12:13 AM
berettag
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I use the cardboard box the filter came in. Open it up and form it into a slightly concave cardboard funnel to guide the oil into the oil receptacle.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:46 AM
jmxp
Tourer

Get the HD Oil Filter removal tool.

Get the engine up to operating temperature before you start. Oil drains faster/better that way.

Use the funnel tricks listed above - OR - go to Dennis Kirk and get the preformed funnel for $15. I plan on doing enough of my own oil changes to easily justify that one. It works great and will keep the oil off your front mount.

Spin the filter on hand tight. Don't forget to smear a little oil around the rubber gasket before you put it on.

Get some beer before you start. One of the classic combos: Cold Beer and changing your own oil on your HD!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:37 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: dionne51

Getting my delivery of Redline synthetic and shockproof heavy tomorrow. Wondering what tips you guys may have for eliminating any oil spilling during the filter removal. I've read everything from 2-liter bottles with a cutout to aluminum foil placed under the filter.
I guess I could just use a shop rag as I have been planning but will listen to any pointers offerred. I know I can just 'suck it up' regarding spilled oil but if I can avoid having to use brake/parts cleaner to remove unwanted spillage I figure I would be ahead of the game.
I just let it rip. Drain it into a pan below the filter and then get my bottle of simple green. I wash the baby after a feeding anyway.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:20 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Figure out about how many miles you plan to put on your scoot in a year and purchase enough oil filters to accomodate the amount of oil changes you will be doing (to include the final winterization one). You can get these from Zanotti's cheaper than you can at your local dealer. You can also purchase the same amount of oil plug o-rings or you can cross match the first one you buy and buy a box of 100 cheaper than HD sells them. I noticed when I bought my scoot that the service dept had used teflon tape on all the drain plugs so I continue to do so along with changing the o-rings at each service interval whether it needs it or not (cheap insurance) My scoot says it takes 4 qts of oil. I use 3.5 quarts initially and then check it after my first ride after the oil change and I then add as necessary. I generally change all three holes at the same time and check the primary chain slack and clutch adjustment while there. I do the soda bottle trick with the oil filter. Some folks here fill their oil filter prior to installing and some don't (I have a poll on this in the oil section) Don't know how close you are to Manchester, NH but if you get up that way R&R Cycles is in Manchester and they are one of the best indy shops in the area (they are frequently featured in American Iron) They sell Redline oil which would save you shipping. Hope some or all of this helped.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:17 AM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

What everyone else said except dont spend extra money on HD oil filter wrench when a cheap strap wrench will work just as well.........................BG

Old 10-16-2006, 11:26 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 10-16-2006, 11:36 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

ORIGINAL: glide
Have a cup of coffee and watch as you drain the filter completely with no mess on the bike after you are done.
Neat trick! But I find a beer helps the oil flow better than the coffee

Old 10-16-2006, 11:37 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Reply: First oil change, hints/tips welcome