Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG - Wind Deflection Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Straycat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
They don't normally work. I found mine on eBay. There are two people making them for the SG. One has a hole for the blinker like mine, and the other doesn't extend past the blinker. I think the part past the blinker is important to have FWIW.
Thanks for the heads up, I found them on ebay.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Lemayco
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started with freedom wings on the fairing, a 6.5" clearview windshield, and the best improvement was the fork mounted wind deflectors. The problem of buffeting was solved a little bit with each item I installed. Good luck.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 PM
blueduramax
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jjnoble
A good windshield will help a lot. The freedom wings help a little, the triple tree deflector helps a little, the fork deflectors help a little. None of those will stop the air from coming up from under the fairing and rushing up into your face. I'll tell you why. Feel where the air is coming from, put your hand down and follow it. You will find it is flowing from about six inches above and about six inches below the top bar of your crash bar, from the frame all the way to the outside edge. There is nothing on the market that I was able to find that will block that air, except: These come close... Fairing lowers and Baker Built had some that came close, but they interfered with the foot controls too much.

You will need to make something of your own. Some plastic, the type of your choice, about 11 or 12" square with rounded corners, fancy them up anyway you want and attach them with P clamps (black or chrome, about $20 each). One P clamp in the center of each will hold them nicely (I used large washers too). Mine go from just short of the frame to just short of the out side edge of the crash bar. About six inches up and down from the crash bar. Not so high as to hit the fairing when making a sharp turn.

They are different than anything else I see on other bikes, but they do not look bad to me and they work very well. I get a slight breeze all around me, enough to help cool me off on a hot day, and some wind comes up behind me and hits me in the back. Pretty calm where I sit, a little breeze, very nice.
This sounds like something worth experimenting with. Do you have any pictures of your homemade baffle?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 PM
bstepHD
Advanced

I recently added the fairing lowers to my 2010 SG and after a ride today in really strong winds, I must say they really improved the "wind management" problems that I had. Prior to the fairing lowers, with a 6.5" Klock Werks, my glasses vibrated to the point of making it difficult to see clearly. I could hold my hand beside the gas tank and the wind blast would support the weight of my arm...with the lower fairings, that is gone...or at least moved to a place that it doesn't impact me directly. It's a pricey accessory but worth it. Not to mention the improvement to engine temps that the lower fairings have improved upon. I've read extensively on various forums on the effects of the lowers and am now a believer.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:03 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,555 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by Straycat
I was under the impression that the fork deflectors did not work on the Street Glide due to the signal location. Did you modify them? It looks like you could remove signals, drill deflectors and fish signal wires thru and remount. Any advice?
Not true. The fork deflectors that I bought on Ebay have a hole for the turn signals. Took about 5 min to install. They absolutely kill all buffeting from my waist up to my chin. My Clearview 8" recurve windshield takes care of the rest. It was one of the best mods I have purchased to date. Wouldn't trade them for anything.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:19 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i'm using a 10" long ride shield and the fork air baffle which bolts on to the lower triple tree and the side wings that are adjustable. i'm very comfortable riding my streetglide. i can smoke at 70 mph without a problem. this combination makes for a very nice pocket of still air, sure the air is still there, but it's not annoying at all with the above mods.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:25 AM
randytro
Banned

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...

Last edited by randytro; 03-24-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Not true. The fork deflectors that I bought on Ebay have a hole for the turn signals. Took about 5 min to install. They absolutely kill all buffeting from my waist up to my chin. My Clearview 8" recurve windshield takes care of the rest. It was one of the best mods I have purchased to date. Wouldn't trade them for anything.

I think they actuallly look really cool. Could you provide a link to the company, or the link to the completed listing on eBay?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
i'm using a 10" long ride shield and the fork air baffle which bolts on to the lower triple tree and the side wings that are adjustable. i'm very comfortable riding my streetglide. i can smoke at 70 mph without a problem. this combination makes for a very nice pocket of still air, sure the air is still there, but it's not annoying at all with the above mods.
Could you also provide the companies or links that supplied your fork baffles and side wings?

It sounds like you guys have found an acceptable solution. My cigarettes look like gnarled pieces of paper after 2 minutes. . I'm running a 9" LRS.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,555 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreyjames
I think they actuallly look really cool. Could you provide a link to the company, or the link to the completed listing on eBay?
Here is a link to the guy on ebay that I bought them from...

The deflectors in the link are not for a StreetGlide...I couldn't find any in his store. You could email him and ask him when he's getting more deflectors for the FLHX.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...s#ht_500wt_956

Quick Reply: SG - Wind Deflection Options