Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG - Wind Deflection Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:45 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

+1 on the fork mounted deflectors.....Them and the adjustable fairing mount deflectors and your get no more "air" where you don't want it.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:55 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

The fork mounted deflectors work well if you ride with your feet on the floor boards. If you ride with them on your highway pegs, the air still catches your legs and blows up your body. I installed them a couple of weeks ago, and pulled them right back off.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A good windshield will help a lot. The freedom wings help a little, the triple tree deflector helps a little, the fork deflectors help a little. None of those will stop the air from coming up from under the fairing and rushing up into your face. I'll tell you why. Feel where the air is coming from, put your hand down and follow it. You will find it is flowing from about six inches above and about six inches below the top bar of your crash bar, from the frame all the way to the outside edge. There is nothing on the market that I was able to find that will block that air, except: These come close... Fairing lowers and Baker Built had some that came close, but they interfered with the foot controls too much.

You will need to make something of your own. Some plastic, the type of your choice, about 11 or 12" square with rounded corners, fancy them up anyway you want and attach them with P clamps (black or chrome, about $20 each). One P clamp in the center of each will hold them nicely (I used large washers too). Mine go from just short of the frame to just short of the out side edge of the crash bar. About six inches up and down from the crash bar. Not so high as to hit the fairing when making a sharp turn.

They are different than anything else I see on other bikes, but they do not look bad to me and they work very well. I get a slight breeze all around me, enough to help cool me off on a hot day, and some wind comes up behind me and hits me in the back. Pretty calm where I sit, a little breeze, very nice.

Last edited by jjnoble; 03-23-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
A good windshield will help a lot. The freedom wings help a little, the triple tree deflector helps a little, the fork deflectors help a little. None of those will stop the air from coming up from under the fairing and rushing up into your face. I'll tell you why. Feel where the air is coming from, put your hand down and follow it. You will find it is flowing from about six inches above and about six inches below the top bar of your crash bar, from the frame all the way to the outside edge. There is nothing on the market that I was able to find that will block that air, except: These come close... Fairing lowers and Baker Built had some that came close, but they interfered with the foot controls too much.

You will need to make something of your own. Some plastic, the type of your choice, about 11 or 12" square with rounded corners, fancy them up anyway you want and attach them with P clamps (black or chrome, about $20 each). One P clamp in the center of each will hold them nicely (I used large washers too). Mine go from just short of the frame to just short of the out side edge of the crash bar. About six inches up and down from the crash bar. Not so high as to hit the fairing when making a sharp turn.

They are different than anything else I see on other bikes, but they do not look bad to me and they work very well. I get a slight breeze all around me, enough to help cool me off on a hot day, and some wind comes up behind me and hits me in the back. Pretty calm where I sit, a little breeze, very nice.

We are riding motorcycles, there will always be air hitting you someplace on your body unless you ride in a bubble. The different deflectors that can be installed on the bikes do work to reduce the buffeting and whatnot which makes for an uncomfortable ride. Everyone has to experiment until they find what works for them. I know for me, the fairing and fork mounted deflectors work. Add the soft lowers in the colder months and unless I stick my feet on the highway pegs, 98% of the rushing air is removed from my body. If all else fails, drive your cage.........

Old 03-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Straycat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that the fork deflectors did not work on the Street Glide due to the signal location. Did you modify them? It looks like you could remove signals, drill deflectors and fish signal wires thru and remount. Any advice?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Kowalski
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Old Bones
Buy a Road Glide, sorry I couldn't resist...
The way the air comes up your chest from under the fairing is one of the only things I didn't like about my SG.
+one on that...i had a 09 SG and could never get the wind flow comfortable for me..tried 4 windshieds,wings,fork baffle..did everything except put on lowers which may have helped,anything over 50 mph felt like my head was getting slapped around, and forget riding with my feet on the highway pegs made it even worse..i sold that bike and went back a few years a bought a 04 SEEG...no buffering problems very comfortable but it did have lowers..sold that bike and got this 2011 RG......this is hands down the best riding bike i have ever rode...

Old 03-23-2011, 11:31 AM
stevesoftail
Intermediate
Default deflectors

Just installed them on a 09 SG and they work great. Already had fairing and baffel deflectors. These were the best change as far as wind buffeting. Simple install, just unbolt
turn signals and slip them under and tighten.

ttp://street-glide.com/wind-deflector-gallery.html

Old 03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Straycat
I was under the impression that the fork deflectors did not work on the Street Glide due to the signal location. Did you modify them? It looks like you could remove signals, drill deflectors and fish signal wires thru and remount. Any advice?
They don't normally work. I found mine on eBay. There are two people making them for the SG. One has a hole for the blinker like mine, and the other doesn't extend past the blinker. I think the part past the blinker is important to have FWIW.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
mteed23
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jeffreyjames
, I get the wind redirected to my face through the bottom of fairing/engine. What is a good route to take to remedy this somewhat?

Suck it up and remember your on a motorcycle maybe?!! If you don't like it maybe you could sell your bike and buy a Prius, they are nice and aerodynamic !!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 AM
LeDoux Leather
Stage II

Check out our "elephant ears", leather crash bar covers at WWW.ledouxleather.com. We can customize them to match the paint scheme of your bike, add conchos, fringes, etc., and they are effective in keeping the wind off. Also, easy on-off with buckle closures.

Quick Reply: SG - Wind Deflection Options