Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme heat issue, exhaust pipe burned off, completely severed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Jerzmatic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme heat issue, exhaust pipe burned off, completely severed

*sigh*

I have a 2000 Ultra, stock 88 still in it. I have thunder header slip ons, and I recently upgraded to a stage 1 Air Kit during a recent oil change because it was discovered that there was a crack in the stock plastic piece that goies into the motor and it was spraying oil.

A few months ago I noticed the rear of the pipe starting to brown and it became progressively worse. I thought it was because I was just riding too hard.

The past few weeks I had been hearing this noise that sounded like some sort of binding at the point when i give it a little throttle just above idle.

Saturday i discovered that the pipe was completely severed at the point where the two pipes come together join near the footboard.

Before I purchase another set of pipes and eventually ruin these also, can someone explain why this might be happening?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because you replaced your stock slip-ons, your AFR is prolly SUPER lean...causing a melting effect a the tail pipe tips. Or is there something you're not telling us? lol!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Jerzmatic
Advanced

As far as I know that's all that's been done. It didn't start browning until November sometime last summer then got progressively worse.

What's AFR? (forgive the newbie) it does smell more "gassy" than usual and my bike is Carburated if that helps.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:29 PM
88racing
Road Captain

It seems like anytime the air intake is changed on these bikes that the fuel management will also need addressing....carbed or fuel injected......especially with aftermarket exhaust being used in conjunction with an air intake upgrade.....this will help overcome lean issues....

Old 03-21-2011, 12:30 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerzmatic
As far as I know that's all that's been done. It didn't start browning until November sometime last summer then got progressively worse.

What's AFR? (forgive the newbie) it does smell more "gassy" than usual and my bike is Carburated if that helps.
AFR = Air/Fuel Ratio

Old 03-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

How old is the Thunder Header? Could've been bad weld & age/vibration eventualy took their toll...

Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Jerzmatic
Advanced

Originally Posted by 88racing
It seems like anytime the air intake is changed on these bikes that the fuel management will also need addressing....carbed or fuel injected......especially with aftermarket exhaust being used in conjunction with an air intake upgrade.....this will help overcome lean issues....

Makes sence. Is that something that the dealership should have adjusted when they upgraded the stage 1?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Jerzmatic
Advanced

Originally Posted by Iceman24
How old is the Thunder Header? Could've been bad weld & age/vibration eventualy took their toll...
Very well could be. I have to replace the pipe anyway so this go round i'm going to go with the full single exhaust thunderheader with the falsie instead of the current true dual setup.

But before I purchase it, I feel as though I need to address the issue that screwed it up in the first place.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:40 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I might consider another brand after having that brand crack regardless of the AFR issue. Just my opinion. And, 99% of the Thunderheaders I see around here blue regardless of the afr. You might want to look into a D&D.

Drew

Old 03-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Jerzmatic
Advanced

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I might consider another brand after having that brand crack regardless of the AFR issue. Just my opinion. And, 99% of the Thunderheaders I see around here blue regardless of the afr. You might want to look into a D&D.
I've been in denial about your statement because I love the way they sound...

Never heard D&D or Rienhart's installed before so I have no opinion but, I need something stronger due to my riding style.

Last edited by Jerzmatic; 03-21-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Extreme heat issue, exhaust pipe burned off, completely severed