Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet enforcement in Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM
cotnballs
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JS99R, I have seen many sport bike riders riding with flip flops on or cheap sneakers. A lot of times I see them wearing shorts, no shirt or helmet! They are no better than a HD rider with no helmet but in full leather!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Yeah I'm one of those guys riding a Harley in a lot of leather and no helmet! Don't ridicule me for excersizing my rights and freedoms! I had quite a bit to do with repealing the helmet law in the state you live in. Wear what you want, what I wear is none of your business! Obviously you believe that wearing a helmet all the time protects you more than having full access to your defensive driving capabilities. I don't share that opinion. Our helmet law was repealed 34 years ago and I rarely wear one. It's great to live free!

Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 PM
AF Chief
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm from SC where there is not a helmet law. I live in GA where there is. In both places, I wear my helmet. Maybe Obama could outlaw the motorcycle helmet law nationwide. I believe motorcycle riders everywhere know what they are capable of and are probably (for the most part) safe drivers and would be perfectly safe without a helmet. Can you say that about that other person in that 3,000 lb four wheeler? Can any of us read minds so we will automatically know what the other person is going to do? I would love to ride without my helmet but I'm not gifted at knowing what the other person will do and I don't feel taking on a chance of leaving this world is worth it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:55 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cotnballs
JS99R, I have seen many sport bike riders riding with flip flops on or cheap sneakers. A lot of times I see them wearing shorts, no shirt or helmet! They are no better than a HD rider with no helmet but in full leather!
I see folks riding with a helmet, shorts, and flip flops. No shirt. I often think what's the point? Your head survives but the rest of you is sandpapered along the road...Great!

I'm not going to tell anyone what to wear as I really don't need anyone, and especially the government, telling me what to wear. I'm not against helmets but I am against helmet laws. I've got several helmets I can wear based on the conditions I'm in, but I certainly don't need anyone telling what to wear.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

If helmets make everyone safer. Then why don't you wear one while driving your 4 wheeler?

Seat belts use is about 95% effective in keeping one alive in an accident.

A DOT motorcycle helmet is about 39% effective in keeping a rider alive in an accident.

You can survive a mc accident wearing a helmet but instead of being killed you're left a drooling-pooping vegetable for the rest of your life.

I'm fed up hearing about not being responsible if I ride without wearing a helmet. Yet you don't hear a peep from these helmet proponents when discussing responsibilities of those that choose to drink and drive.

Here's late breaking news, we're all going to DIE. Young physically fit soldiers wearing helmets have been know to die while in their tanks.

If it's your time to go, you're going.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:26 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

when California started there helmet 1991(maybe) a lot of us had the dot look-a-like & Five-O was pulling over guys & passing out tickets. I don't remember when it slowed down. I bought a dot approved & didn't worry. Now days you really have to do something stupid for them to pull you over for it. They've been trying for years to get the law revoked but I don't see it happing.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 PM
mrjimbo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Health Insurance(Tricare) will not cover me if I'm in an accident and not wearing a helmet.
How many of you guys that DONT wear helmets put helmets on your kids? I've got two half shells, a 3/4 and a modular(love that shark). My Boy has a half shell and a 3/4, but wears the 3/4 all the time. Daughter wears a half like her mom.
Never wore a helmet until I was 20, and have worn one since(27 years and counting)
helped when that 16 year old turned left in front of me........

Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 PM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Had to stay in icu when my mom was in there for a liver transplant. 23 year old girl across the hall in a coma, fell of the back of a moped taking off with a full face on. She died after being in a coma for 6 months. When your number is up you will go one way or another. If my insurance company tried to tell me what to do I wouldn't do business with them nor would anyone I could get to listen. I don't care who does or doesn't wear helmets. Please don't worry if I do or not. As far as my tax dollars go I would rather pay somebody's nursing home stay then support some crack ***** with 10 kids. I will say again I don't care if you wear a helmet or not i believe that should be a choice for the individual not the state.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by strtarrow
In short can I get away with a novelty helmet without worrying about LEO giving me a hard time or do I need a DOT? Hoping to be starting a short duration job in Macon this week and will have my bike as sole transportation.

I worked just south of Macon for two years and any helmet on your head will pacify the law.

Stop in at Macon HD and say hey to Shawn for me and see if you can find some of the money I lost there; 3 bikes in two years!